Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 5, 2004, 7:28 PM   #11

Cool Geoff, since the camera is so new, why not try to exchange it ? I mean as long as its a prime model, not being supersed by a newer, you could get a good ammount of money for it ? How about exchanging it where you bought it ?

Cheers
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 7:31 PM   #12

I bought it from Amazon more than 2 months ago - they only have a 30 day policy on returns/exchanges. Darn. If I had bought it from Costco I would have been able to return anytime during the life of the camera, no questions asked. Lessons are learned the hard way.

Actually, I am thinking of several courses of action. I had originally sent Norm a private message earlier today asking for his advice, but if others want to help "advise" me, I am more than willing to do it publicly. Where would the most appropriate place be to start a thread about my "future" camera choices? :-)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 7:41 PM   #13

Hmmm understand now, unless you want to sell it private, or if a good camera store would take it in exchange, but then you would loose some money since they didn't made profit originally.

My idea is, wait until the new 10D comes out, thats what I would do. Or go for a DRebel, its about the same price as your camera. At that point, the investement will be in lens, which is not lost if you stay with the same company (Canon vs Nikon). I prefer the Canon for some reasons, but I simply love the image quality it produce as long as there's a good workflow in post-processing. Not that image quality is bad, its simply that a good workflow will create "ooohhh la" in the image.

Hard choice indeed
Old Jul 5, 2004, 9:16 PM   #14

Yes, I have been thinking of selling my camera on ebay. It's in like-new condition, takes great shots, but isn't suitable for the direction I want to aim in my photography - wildlife, mostly birds.

The DRebel is the choice I was considering. My budget will be a bit limited, perhaps no greater than $13-1500. That being the case, I wasn't sure what additional lens of good enough quality I should get if I go in that direction.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 9:28 PM   #15

Well Geoff, with that budget a Bigma would do you good. It's a good all around lens from 50 to 500mm. Not the greatest but nice all around.

I also have a Sigma 12-24 for my scenery shots, that's another consideration in the future. But for birding and all around, the Bigma is a good choice. But you'll have to invest in a sturdy tripod though. That lens is on the heavy side. You actually hook the lens to the tripod, camera is attached behind.

Dont be fooled by the camera plastic body, it's only the shell. There's a magnesium frame underneath. The D70 doesn't have a magnesium frame.

Cheers
Old Jul 5, 2004, 9:45 PM   #16

If the Bigma is the Sigma 50-500mm lens, then it's price looks to break my budget, at least from what I can see by pricing it on www.pricegrabber.com - minimum $880!

Costco is selling the DRebel kit for $949 which includes an additional BP-511 battery and the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. With the Bigma added in I'd be over $1800.

Sigma offers a 135-400mm lens that would be within my budget. If I then sprung for a teleconverter later on I could get the greater focal length. Is this lens and/or combo with teleconverter just not going to cut it for (hopefully) high quality wildlife shots?

I believe I've already got a decent tripod - a Bogen/Manfrotto 3036. Right now I only have a pan head rated for 11lbs. I know that I have to eventually get a ball head.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:19 PM   #17

From what I could find on that tripod it isn't bad. A bit heavy but the extra leg supports should help it. If it's really rated for 26lb, that should be fairly good.

400mm is the minimum you should consider getting. I was able to get some good stuff with the Canon 100-400, but I was frustrated enough by it (optically and focal length) that I went to the 600mm. You might consider the Canon 400 f5.6. It's good optically, not that heavy... oops, rule that out. To expensive.

You should really ask your lens question in the Canon SLR lens area. I'll give you more ideas there (its not really proper for here.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:35 PM   #18

Mind if I give you a suggestion if your going with the Digital Rebel and money is tight?

Have you looked at the cheaper Canon zooms?

I bought a 100-300mm 4.5-5.6 USM lens because the price was right, and it is built better then the 75-300mm lenses.

With 1.6 cropping, it turns into a 160-480mm lens that isn't all that bad for a starter lens. That just makes it into birding focal range.

Just an opinion, and later, you can upgrade the thing to what you want.

Likewise, I bought a very cheap manual f8 500mm mirror lens that fits with a T mount adapter. For very little money, you get an 800mm lens for longer reach. With some post processing, you would be surprised at the images you can make with something like this....if you don't mind the manual focus and fixed aperture.

Just my 2 cents...
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:38 PM   #19

These are all interesting suggestions. Thanks, guys. I'm going to do as Eric suggested and continue this as a topic in the Canon SLR lens area.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:40 PM   #20

Geoff, sorry for not responding to your message. I've been away all day photographing this and that. I'll be posting a few more woodpecker photos as well as a bluebird (I think) that I need a positive ident on.

I'd definitely recommend purchasing a DSLR if you have the cash, since it has a larger sensor and the noise issue isn't so great. However, and I think this may be a bit however at the moment for you, if you cannot afford a DSLR, then the FZ1 or FZ10 will get the photo you want more times than not.

I'll put it this way:

- no matter what I buy in the future I will never sell my FZ10, and I miss it and want it to come back from warrenty repair as soon as possible

- people like Hummer and Zoomn have demonstrated dynamically that the FZ series of 12x optical zooms can offer excellent wildlife expressions.

- I'd suggest, try to sell what you have on EBay and buy an FZ1 or FZ10 for now, because you will never want to sell it no matter if you purchase a DSLR in future or not.

I can carry the FZ10 with 1.5 teleconverter in my hand while riding my mountain bike. I have approximately 630mm's of optical zoom at my disposal without attaching lenses or worrying about weight.

Hopefully some of my comments and the comments of all others will help you along the path of decision in the matter.

As Zoomn says above, for about $199you won't have a tele problem any longer. This, to me, would be a good interim solution.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote