Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 4, 2004, 10:56 PM   #1

The sparrow was following me around begging me to take its picture. I think he is posing to show off he has caught a bug.

The tanager was flying over the headwaters of the Salmon river in the evening catching flies off the river as they hatched and became airborne. It was quite a display but he did not sit still for long. Chased him around for a couple hours this was the best I could get.

The chipmunk is gravy. I thought the setting looked cool with the red rocks for background.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2004, 11:34 PM   #2

zoomn, the first two are magnificent, you can even see the bug legs on the second one! Wonderful. I think the last 3, unless they are telling a story, are not as good as I've seen from you, the bird is extremely beautiful and I know that you can do better sharing that bird. Super job on the first two.

However, I think you "were" telling a story about seeing that beautiful bird. So I look forward to your next photos that will be much better technically. I wish I had the possibility of being able to catch those wonders myself. Happy hunting!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 12:32 AM   #3

Zoomn, what Norm said, plus...

Just for the record, the first 2 photos are a White Crowned Sparrow. Very nice shots.

I like the chipmunk shot and think it would be really good except that the red rock background blends with the chipmunk too well, making it difficult to make him out the way he should stand out. Now for the chipmunk's survival this is great, but for photos makes tough viewing.

Norm: You should be able to find Western Tanagers where you live. The range maps I've looked at show them as occuring in your area.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 2:58 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses guys. These shots where from my camping trip to the mountains this weekend. Geoffs was already kind enough to comment on my scenery shots on the landscape forum.

I agree the shots of the tanager weren't technically good but after spending so much time trying to get a better one and finding the bird to be such a touch catch those shots became real masterpieces in my eyes so I posted them. Even though not technically good photos they do show what a pretty bird it is.

I had shots of a few different birds and critters of iffy techical quality that I was able to restrain myself from posting, but couldn't resist on the tanager.

I should have titled the chipmunk picture "Find the Chipmunk". The camo effect which is distracting from a technical point of view is what I find to be cool about the picture. I do appreciate you providing the information however. That is what I really appreciate about the folks on this board is the way information is given which always increases my knowledge.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 9:25 AM   #5

zoomn wrote:
Quote:
I agree the shots of the tanager weren't technically good but after spending so much time trying to get a better one and finding the bird to be such a touch catch those shots became real masterpieces in my eyes so I posted them.
Yep, I know exactly what you mean!

Quote:
I had shots of a few different birds and critters of iffy techical quality that I was able to restrain myself from posting, but couldn't resist on the tanager.
I wish you'd post those shots so long as they are still decent enough to make out the birds, especially if you don't know what those birds are. I'm being selfish because I'd like a shot at id'ing them :-)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 3:40 PM   #6

Personally, I've never seen a Western Tanager, and as you said, you chased him around a lot and this is the best you can get. They certainly aren't your best, but I post pictures I like that aren't my best (yes, I do... ok, not often, but I do! Really! )

I saw my first Scarlet Tanager this past week and eventhough all it did was fly infront of me I am still thrilled. So if these were all I got, I'd be happy with these pictures (and I'd be inspired to try to get more!)

Eric

ps. Geoff, I agree. Its a white crowned sparrow. And I agree with normcar. Seeing those legs sticking up is great.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote