Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 6, 2004, 8:47 AM   #11

eric s wrote:
Quote:
At least ovenbirds are more common than the bunting, so I'll see another one some day.
Eric, if you are willing to drive a little ways, perhaps making a 2-3 day outing of it, a terrific place to go for birds is the Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge in New Jersey. I used to frequent that place, going there perhaps twice a month (I lived 25 miles from it). As a plus, I would see Indigo Buntings there frequently.

Quote:
While I do make writing mistakes often (as I'm sure people know)...
Coincidental statement there! I am finding that unless I proofread what I write at least once (2x is better!), when I post my message I end up having to come back and edit it. My brain is saying one thing but my fingers aren't faithful in translating that to the keyboard! I hope it isn't a sign of my age...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 9:56 AM   #12

I've posted this before (before you started to come here) that I have dyslexia in every form known to man. So I proof read almost all my posts... if I didn't, I'd really confuse you all!

If I went down to NJ I'd go to Cape May, I've just heard too many amazing things about that place. But I'll add the great swamp to the list as well.

I believe photosbyvito is from NJ, maybe he's closer to the Great Swamp than Cape May.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:23 AM   #13

eric s wrote:
Quote:
I've posted this before (before you started to come here) that I have dyslexia in every form known to man. So I proof read almost all my posts... if I didn't, I'd really confuse you all!

Eric
I've not experienced dyslexia personally, but others I know with it definitely have a job overcoming it. It seems to me that you have done very well in not letting it get the better of you. Your writing and photography skills attest to that.

Quote:
If I went down to NJ I'd go to Cape May, I've just heard too many amazing things about that place. But I'll add the great swamp to the list as well. I believe photosbyvito is from NJ, maybe he's closer to the Great Swamp than Cape May.
Cape May is very good as a place for birding but the Great Swamp is a little recognized gem. I have a personal love for it since it was basically my old stomping grounds. Really, if you were to make the trip to NJ there'd really be no reason why you couldn't hit both.

Vito is from Lakewood, NJ which is much closer to Cape May than the Great Swamp.

Oh yeah, let me not forget - if you do go to that area, try to make it to Hawk Ridge just over the border in Pennsylvania. It's an unbelievable place to view migrating hawks.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 11:34 AM   #14

Now Hawk Ridge I've heard of. It is supposed to be absolutely amazing. There are a few places nearer to me that are on my list for the fall migration.

Gosh, almost sounds like I'm planning a trip here.

Eric

ps. I do a decent job dealing with the dyslexia, but some times it sneaks up on me. Just gotta keep working on it and continue to write and read. By using those portions of my brain, I do better. I find that if I don't, I get worse.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 2:06 PM   #15

eric s wrote:
Quote:
By using those portions of my brain, I do better. I find that if I don't, I get worse.
This statement is so true, and not just applicable to people with disabilities. I've seen so many people after they retire lapse into a state of senility because they do little more than sit in a lounge chair. It seems like the ones that keep mentally and physically active are the ones that are fully functional until the end. I intend to be in the active group...