Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 5, 2004, 4:27 PM   #1

All of these were shot on Appledore island off the Maine/ New Hampshire coast. The weather was really bad, cold and overcast all weekend. This was shot at 6:45 at night in near dark because of the heavy cloud cover. I was shooting warblers when this little guy hoped out of the undergrowth near me and wandered around the open end of the trail head I was at. I'd only ever seen an over bird once before, and that was only for a fleeting moment. This time I got some badly exposed but workable shots. I didn't want to use my flash too much because I was afraid to scare away this lovely surprise visiter.

camera: 10D 100-400@400mm 1/250 f5.6 RAW
Photoshop: RAW Convert w/ exposure adjust, Neat image for high frequency noise, curves, saturation, sharpen

camera: 10D 100-400@400mm 1/250 f5.6 flash, exposure comp +2 RAW
Photoshop: RAW Convert w/ exposure adjust, Neat image for high frequency noise, curves, saturation, crop, sharpen

camera: 10D 100-400@400mm 1/250 f5.6 flash, exposure comp +2 RAW
Photoshop: RAW Convert w/ exposure adjust, Neat image, curves, saturation, crop, sharpen

I have some more, but I got some stuff to edit up for an exhibit this weekend. I sure wish I had my better glass when I was on appledore. I didn't buy it 'cause I wasn't sure the 600mm was what I wanted... I should have listened to that little inner voice screaming "YES IT IS. GET IT!!"

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2004, 4:49 PM   #2

Very, very nice, Eric. These shots will hopefully get Norm and Eric CAN fired up.

The second photograph is the one I like best. From a non-technical perspective (the only one I have at the moment), I like the pose exhibiting more of the bird's body, the colors are more brilliant than in the other two, and the grass in the foreground doesn't seem distracting to me as in the others.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 5:47 PM   #3

Neat looking bird. Has a stripe like a chipmunk down the top of its head.

I like the second one best. You can really see the detail in the back colors.

Thanks for sharing.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 6:04 PM   #4

Ya, the second one was one of the few that I dared use a flash. That helped a fair amount. I didn't have to raise the exposure by something like 1 1/2 stops just to get it reasonable (and then raise it more in curves while fixing contrast.)

The conditions were brutal. :evil: I hope to get back to that island next spring... and it had better be better weather!!! :-)

Eric
Old Jul 5, 2004, 6:26 PM   #5

Eric, wouldn't there be ovenbirds more local to you in the woodlands around Boston? I should think so. The island probably has many other attractions but the ovenbird shouldn't be unique among them.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 7:56 PM   #6

The other picture of the oven bird (in that gallery) was shot one town over. So yes, I can find them locally. I want to go to the island for a lot more than the oven bird (actually, not for the oven bird at all.) I want to go to the island because its a migratory stop for warblers heading up to Canada (so that Eric Can and Normcar can photograph them!) I saw about... 10 species in a hours by standing in one spot. Very nice. Not to mention an indigo bunting.

I will go back to the sanctuary where I saw the oven bird and who knows... maybe I'll see it again. The problem with them is that I need extention tubes to reduce the close focusing distance (which I don't have.) I'm sure I'd be much too close to one if I found it... 18' minimum focusing distance is a bit harsh.

Eric
Old Jul 5, 2004, 9:19 PM   #7

eric s wrote:
Quote:
I want to go to the island because its a migratory stop for warblers heading up to Canada (so that Eric Can and Normcar can photograph them!) I saw about... 10 species in a hours by standing in one spot. Very nice.
Warblers are a very good reason, indeed! When I lived on the east coast, warblers were my favorite things to watch for. I guess that that means you'll probably wait until about middle of next May to go to the island because in your area that is probably the height of warbler migration season.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:07 PM   #8

Yes, in fact May 21-23 was when I went this past year. I didn't pick the date (went with a group) but it was well worth it.

Warblers and hawks are great here. And if you're lucky owls too. And the shore bird migration can be fun. And the herons nest down here... Eagles have started to winter here as well.

If you know where to look, almost any time is good around here (except right now, we're in one of the few lulls. :evil: )

Eric
Old Jul 6, 2004, 1:40 AM   #9

I didn't buy it [I'm sure you meant, bring it]'cause I wasn't sure the 600mm was what I wanted... I should have listened to that little inner voice screaming. I have the same inner voice complaint. This wonderful bird, with the 600 L, probably would have been more dynamic, sharp, and other.

I'm a bit frustrated with this one, wondering why the 100-400 was used.

Frustrated, but not angry or unhappy. Just frustrated eric.

Let me know if you ever plan to sell that wonderful lens, the 600 that is. I'm being mean tonight because I'm frustrated with why you didn't take that lens with you.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 8:27 AM   #10

While I do make writing mistakes often (as I'm sure people know) I did mean "buy". I purchased the lens a few weeks after going to Appledore. I thought about getting it for that trip, but that seemed like I was acting on impulse and not reasoned logic. I was... but I still should have purchased it. :-)

I wish I had owned it at the time. Once I "realized" that the 600 would help me (late last winter), I should have purchased it right then. But instead (as is my "research to death" nature) I paid attention to how and what I shoot and thought about it... Would I really carry it (its very heavy), are my subjects too close (only once in the many weeks I've had it has that happened), is it optically and AF-wise worth the money (optically yes but the AF speed isn't that much better. The camera body has more to do with AF speed than I though. I thought that f4 would have helped more.) And then there were the naysayers voices "Should I get the Sigma 800 for Sigma 300-800 for less? I've heard they are optically really good..." So that ate at me too.

So this is one of those cases where my research to death nature caught up to me. If I'd had that lens my indigo bunting shots would have been better, as would these. At least ovenbirds are more common than the bunting, so I'll see another one some day.

Actually when I purchased that lens, the sales man I always work with (really nice) said that if I find I don't want it any more he could hook me up with people who would rent it for money. They rent big lenses to newspapers and such, and I bet for big events (sporting events) they don't have enough to go around.

Eric