Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 5, 2004, 6:03 PM   #1

Found these 3 baby Kingbirds sitting on a wire. Mom was shuttling back and forth to them with food. I was able to sneak up pretty close.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2004, 6:30 PM   #2

Man I love these photos, zoomn. Like I said in another thread, what you can do with that FZ1 is amazing. Plus you get an A for stealthiness and persistence (in following the progress of the breeding cycle of these birds).
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 7:31 PM   #3

1st and 2nd one are priceless Zoomm

Nice capture
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 8:03 PM   #4

And that yellow.... I just looked it up, only the kids have it and they grow out of it as adults. That makes sense, as I didn't remember it.

Very nicely done. Those first two are great and the forth is a very nice pose. Great shots.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 8:54 PM   #5

Thanks for taking a look and appreciate your comments.

The double is the two that were on the top wire.

The the singles are one of each of the three birds.

The first single is the top bird on the left, the second is the single bird on the wire right below the double. The third bird is the top wire double bird on the right.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 9:26 PM   #6

eric s wrote:
Quote:
And that yellow.... I just looked it up, only the kids have it and they grow out of it as adults. That makes sense, as I didn't remember it.
Say, Eric, you're confusing me! :-)

This is the Western Kingbird as zoomn lives in Idaho and the western kingbirds have yellow on the belly, even as adults.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:10 PM   #7

Ah, I must have looked up the eastern... Let me check. No, it's the Thick Billed Kingbird that has the yellow for the kids. And they are only in Mexico and a touch of Texas. My fault, the western gets more yellow as they get older. Where was my brain?

Eric
Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:16 PM   #8

I think that you can be excused for the yellow on the belly confusion, Eric. After all, you do live on the east coast and probably haven't had the opportunity to see a Western Kingbird, unless you've visited out west.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:35 PM   #9

Considering how sick I get on planes, I don't get out there that often (in fact, only about 3 times ever.)

But I'd certainly like to, there are some great places and lovely birds on that coast which would be fun to see.

Eric
Old Jul 6, 2004, 1:11 AM   #10

zoomn, excellent captures, keep up the great work. Since you don't mention suppression of the technical here I'm going to comment. The lights need to be toned down in post processing and you might consider passing one more time through neat image or another noise program.

I'm certainly not complaining, just critiquing. I'd personally be proud of having taken these shots, they are excellent!

Here's the last one, an absolutely excellent capture and pose, with a tiny bit of processing for noise. I hope you are not bothered by my playing with your work, but I made the decision because I think you are open to ideas. An extremely tiny reduction in noise is all that both FZ10 and FZ1 need in order to become real nice and smooth impressions. I changed nothing on this one except the noise reduction and a very slight reduction in size, because that action alone is a noise reducer.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote