Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 6, 2004, 12:02 AM   #1

Finally, after a number of drab and grey days, I got some blue, so I went out to the woodpecker area late in the afternoon because that's when the sun hits the tree hole nicely. The mom/dad must be getting used to me because it actually hung around on a nearby limb and pruned. Below is in-between prune stabbing. I like the color of the red and blue (cool and warm) mixed on this one; the angle was difficult to photograph since I was almost immediately below the bird.

I have a few identification request below the woodpecker photos...

Baby is still crying but seems to be getting bigger. After all of that feeding it's no real puzzle as to why. Do you notice that the kid really looks alot like mom/dad in the first two photos as much as I do (right down to personality)?

Still feeding, over and over and over and over and over again

Okay, here are the two photos I'd like idents on if possible. I think that the second one is a Wilson's Warbler but I'm not sure.

One

Two

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2004, 12:32 AM   #2

You just keep adding to that portfolio of sapsucker photos! These are great. The contrast of the red color of the bird against the blue sky is neat but I really like the third picture the most - the pose on the tree, the detail in the legs and his claws as they grasp the tree, and all the identifying characteristics just out there in the open for the viewing - just terrific!

The last bird, the one you believe is a Wilson's Warbler, isn't. Sorry. Take a look at the beak of that bird. It is stout and strong, made for cracking open and eating seed, which a warbler's beak is not. No, this is a female American Goldfinch.

I know you are going to be surprised by this, but that other unidentified bird looks to me to be a House Sparrow!!! :-)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 12:41 AM   #3

Cool, thanks for the idents geoff. I look forward to hearing what those other guys have to say, especially with respect to the finch. I "knew" that was something different. You made my day. The great thing about this Finch was that it was grabbing the fuzz from the trees surrounding, probably for the nest I'd guess. She was almost covered by the time she took off.

Here's an example of the fuzz gathering ceremony:

I knew that cute little ball of yellow was different...

Old Jul 6, 2004, 8:33 AM   #4

Goldfinch was going to be my guess as well. It's lighter in color than the females I remember... but that certainly doesn't mean I'm right (my memory isn't perfect!) And if its gathering nesting materials, then it isn't young either!

That is a lovely sapsucker shot. Getting more to its side shows more of that lovely red neck. Very well done.

My guess is house sparrow as well, but it's a bit hard to tell (and I'm no sparrow expert.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 8:53 AM   #5

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
The great thing about this Finch was that it was grabbing the fuzz from the trees surrounding, probably for the nest I'd guess. She was almost covered by the time she took off.
Well, just look at that... Norm, you edited your message after I'd already read it, adding the above sentences plus the pictures!

That picture where the goldfinch is gathering tree fuzz and causing herself to be coated in the fuzz is both amusing and a good record of her behavior. Thanks for posting that. I've seen lots of birds gather nesting materials but never seen them coating themselves in the material!
Old Jul 6, 2004, 8:55 AM   #6

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Goldfinch was going to be my guess as well. It's lighter in color than the females I remember... but that certainly doesn't mean I'm right
Eric, the olive-green color on her back is the give-away for me. True, she does look a bit yellower everywhere else than alot of female goldfinches I've seen, but not overly so. The males are brilliant yellow.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 8:57 AM   #7

Nice shots Normcar!

Looks like you are becoming one of the family for them to let you get that close.

Really like the shot of the bird grasping the tree getting ready to feed the baby.

Good action shot and really like the colors on that bird.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 5:00 PM   #8

Howdy all, yep the goldfinch is a female for sure and the other one is a House Sparrow. Norm, best way to identify is with the sounds. Female Goldfinch makes a very subbtle "moan" song and the sparrow is simply chirp chirp chirp.

Cheers
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 9:52 PM   #9

Thanksfor the aboveident help and info on that cute little finch, wish I could have done it more justice in the photo.

zoomn, I don't think I can take any credit for sneaking up on this one since it carries on, day and night, no matter who comes near. This tree is in the middle of a playground. :lol: