Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:34 PM   #1

I'm almost 100% sure of the ident on this bird from what I've read about it's behavior and it's general appearance. I caught these shots at a new location. This bird was very entertaining as it took off, flew about for a sec, zinged an insect, and returned to perch. After downloading photos I noticed on one blurredphoto that this Kingbird was actually catching bees!I've been reading that this bird is a brawler and will fearlessly attack crows, hawks...and even humans (ack!) to protect territory. I hadconsidered trying to get around the swamp to be closer, but it would have been a great deal of work; probably lucky I kept my distance.

Colors and shape from the side

One more from a different position so it's belly can be seen better

Here's the photograph of it with a bee in it's mouth. This photo was a toss out except for the fact that this is definitely a bee in it's mouth. Unbelievable. I actually saw it spit one out; now I suspect that it got stunk so dropped the morsel.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2004, 11:20 PM   #2

You are 100% correct on that being an Eastern Kingbird, Norm. They are interesting birds to watch. I think that that bird eating the bee will have learned their lesson just as my dog did when he tried to do the same thing!

I've never had a kingbird attack me, Norm, and I don't think you have too much to worry about in that respect. The most I'd worry about is some well-aimed droppings...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 11:40 PM   #3

Well, I'll tell ya, this guy seemed to be "dropping" alot as well. I almost caught it on camera twice. Interesting bird, this one. Hmm, if ithis one and the catbird ever mated I think we'd have a real looney tune.

Thanks for the 100% confirmed.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 11:47 PM   #4

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the 100% confirmed.
Soon you won't be needing me to help you id birds!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 12:04 AM   #5

I enjoy watching kingbirds as well. It's fun to watch them zip out to get a bug. You never know where they will go or what acrobatic turn they'll make.

The other great ID tell for this bird is the white stripe on the tail, which you showed very well in that second picture.

Nice shots of a fun bird.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 9:40 AM   #6

Nice shots Normcar, you must have been in stealth mode to get so close to the Kingbirds. If they are anything like out Western Kingbirds getting with 30 feet is very tough unless they are protecting their nest.

That first shot is a classic looking pose. Very nice.

I really like the shot of the bee in its mouth. Even though it is out of focus that is great stuff.

I do not mean to hijack your thread but on a side note I was checking out some of the noise programs you suggested last night. I found one called www. helicon.com for free and then I fooled around with the free Neat Image program.

The Helicon program really cleaned them up but took some of the fine detail of the birds as well, making them look smooth. I think it will be a good program after I have a chance to tweak the settings a little.

The Neat Image program did not do as much as the Helicon program to clean up the noise on the settings I tried. Would you by any chance have any default settings you can recommend for the Neat Image program. Obviously I need to get in there and fool around with it some more and figure out how to use it correctly.

But wow what a difference the noise reduction made on some of my shots. I am very excited to get some new shots and try it out. I can really see that when you clean up the noise it makes your subject stand out better, like in your shots here that you posted.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 6:46 PM   #7

Thanks for the comments zoomn. I'll tell you, I'm not the most technical sort of guy, more artsy fartsy, so I'm going to make it easy for you on the Neat Image thing:

Load the image without cropping so that you have a good selection area to do a "device noise profile"

Choose the "device noise profile" tab and click and drag a square with your mouse. Then release your mouse and grab the square you've chosen, pushing it about the photograph area watching the edges of the square. Find the background area that shows the "least" noise (shown on the square by cool colors and less edge noise, I've found that the warm pinks and reddish colors should be avoided. Set your square in an area where you see cool colors: blues, greens...or, preferrably, "one" color).

Click on the "selection can be analysed" ruler, the little blue guy on the right side, middle.

Then, after the processing is complete, click on the tab called "noise filter settings."

Then, click and drag a square around an area that is "important" to you, such as the face, the eye, or other subject part.

On upper left there is a "preview" button but it usually automatically previews after you have dragged the square. Have a look by zooming in. If it looks good, then go to the last tab (output image), click on "apply"and final process and save.

Other than that, if your background won't allow a reasonably stable processing (and you can tell by the presence of warm colors), you may need to manually adjust the noise level settings, high mid, and low, but if you need to do that be careful not to "over" process.

My main goal with neat image is to find a good flat color area, such as pure blue sky, to set the "rough noise analyser" at the beginning of the process.

Hmm, this got longer than I expected. Hopefully something from the above schpiel will help. In any event, intentions have been honorable and I wish you happy experimenting.

Old Jul 12, 2004, 1:41 AM   #8

sharp image...i wonder what camera you're using?
great dof control..
thanks for sharing

regards
andre christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 3:18 AM   #9

I would not have a clue what kind of bird it is but the shots are great.:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote