Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 7, 2004, 5:45 PM   #1

It was windy and rainy today so I went to a nearby spot and experimented with the 50-500 with 2x Sigma extender on one endand the Panasonic 1.5 (2.8 aperture) strapped to the other end. I was leaning out of my car with the lensresting on my window. His feathers are not ruffled, it's the wind blowing them.This little guy was about 35 to 40 feet away. Comments and critiques are welcome.

Note of thanks to Administration:

I accidentally clicked the "send" button twice again and received an error message that told me of this problem. Congratulations administration on solving this problem! Now dummies like me won't be so embarrassed when we double post.

That "black dot" on the second pole from the right is this bird. I took off both extenders and shot this photo in order to demonstrate perspective. Upon reconsideration, I thought I should post this as well because sometimes it's difficult relating distances. The first one is "with" extender and add-on, the second is without, and set at 50mm with the Sigma.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2004, 8:06 PM   #2

Norm, that is one heck of a graphic demonstration of the capability of your large lens and extenders to "pull" a subject into the camera. Wow.

The second picture is a good example of what I typically see when using my camera. It doesn't help much in post-processing when your subject only occupies a 100 pixel square of the original image!

Your lens combination seems to be free of any purple fringing too from what I can see. If there were PF I would have expected it to show up on the left side of the post where the highlights are blown out and it butts up against the background blur. You didn't post-process out any PF, did you?

For the record, this bird seems to me to be a Rusty Blackbird.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 8:27 PM   #3

Geoff, good for you, you are getting really good at critique! Indeed I post processed this guy in order to add the zest. However, many photos don't have the credentials to even qualify for the zest. As for purple fringing, no, the Panasonic 1.5 extender adds nothing even close to that. The only deficiency in this photo would be what is offered by the Sigma 2x extender, but I was rather impressed with the combo today. The Panasonic, on the end of my Sigma 50-500, remains auto focus and adds no deficiency of light. It's an amazing add-on, but it's also more expensive than other add ons and you need to be inventive in order to attach. I have no idea why Panasonic decided to be so aggressive on that matter. I think they could sell this 1.5 extender alone, and it would be a hit

Old Jul 7, 2004, 10:20 PM   #4

Wow. Were you using a clamp-on window mount or just holding the camera "steadied" on the car door? I find that many long shots are too long even when steadying on a door or a tree. I have an old Bushnell window mount somewhere, I think I should start carrying it with me....

Hummer
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 9:05 AM   #5

Wow! Zoom rules. You obviously have excellent equipment to take such a nice shot at max zoom and still have it be so clear. Excellent detail even in the black feathers.

Zoom is just plain fun!! It looks like Panasonic has done a very good job with their extender, but as you said it is a mite spendy for most of us.

Thanks for sharing this example of the power of zoom.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 9:35 AM   #6

And I love that eye. Very nicely done.

Adding a converter on the front of the lens (as opposed to between the lens and the camera) won't cost you any light. I don't know why they are not more popular... maybe its because they are larger and more expensive? Harder to make at as high a quality? Don't know.

Looks like this one serves you well.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 12:02 AM   #7

I'm sold on the add-on eric, I was when I used it with the FZ10, it just kept the color and contrast and didn't reduce light at all. However, my problem with Panasonic is that they have caused me to use a roll of duct tape to use this lens on the end of my 50-500.

However, they lose in the long run because this attachment ( a roll of duct tape on the end of my 50-500) allows me, not to screw the lens in, but to shove it in, and with a bit of electrician's tape it slips in without movement, snug.

This Panasonic 1.5 (2.8 apterture) add-on retains autofocus on my 50-500, as fast as without it on the end, it's quite cool indeed. I lose no light, and I lose no color, in fact, the color seems enriched even, and I lose very little sharpness. I don't want a stepdown lens any more, my shove it in and shove it out is much faster. Thanks anyway, Panasonic. And definitely thanks for the 2.8 1.5 glass.

An extender or add-on is always a loss in quality. But, it has it's advantages from time to time, under various circumstances, is my philosophy on the matter.

Hummer, I rested the lens on my window, which is a great tripod if the car is turned off and the side of your window is a bit fuzzy.