Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 8, 2004, 10:04 AM   #1

Tried not to over sharpen them this time:-)

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2004, 3:52 PM   #2

Very nice cats. Keep them coming! :-)
The white one almost look bear like to me (both in how it was sitting in the preview set of photos and in this one.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 12:51 AM   #3

Aww, that poor baby in the first photo is so frightened. Great emotional capture. I just want to go and take it down from the tree.

Gads, excellent freeze frame in the last one too. Are you using a "non" DSLR for that shot? If so, good grief, I'm looking forward to seeing you get back to the DSLR!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 1:16 AM   #4

Yes, Julie, you've done rather well with that G2 on this trip. Nice animal park to visit! And, you didn't oversharpen these!

Norm... you call that first tiger a baby? Gosh, the keepers had to protect that tree its on with a rope wrapping, just so that baby wouldn't hurt it! :-) I'm kidding, just as I think you were...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 1:35 AM   #5

I don't know much about any wildlife so I'm guessing, and my guess still remains that that first photo is of a little one. Any other input on this? Isn't this stuff fun? Well, it is for me. I'll tell ya, that first photo really looks to me like a kid on a tree.

I don't mind if I'm wrong, but if I am, tell me why is all. This a fun challenge, and in the spirit of a smile,
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 1:49 AM   #6

Well, to me, the legs of that white tiger look to be just too long and well-developed for a young one. Also, I cheated and looked back at Julie's previously posted photos, one of which included this same tiger, and he looks pretty big when close up to the keeper playing with him :-)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 7:06 AM   #7

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Aww, that poor baby in the first photo is so frightened. Great emotional capture. I just want to go and take it down from the tree.

Gads, excellent freeze frame in the last one too. Are you using a "non" DSLR for that shot? If so, good grief, I'm looking forward to seeing you get back to the DSLR!
That first white tiger is a fully grown male. And yes these were all taken with the G3. Hubby did not want me to take me brand new camera on this trip, he was worried something could happen to it in transit and I would be devestated:-)I regretted it a little, however the G3 is still a great camera and as I forgot to take the telephoto lens these were all taken using the digital zoom to get in close enough.

All the tigers love these sessions, they are never forced in any way. The most interesting thing was the way the trainers use "marking," they have patches of old carpet in about 8 inch squares and when they drop them on the ground the cats will put one foot on them. They are rewarded with food. The cats have all their vet checks, blood samples etc done this way with no stress as the marking is a reward for them.

Old Jul 9, 2004, 7:08 AM   #8

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
I don't know much about any wildlife so I'm guessing, and my guess still remains that that first photo is of a little one. Any other input on this? Isn't this stuff fun? Well, it is for me. I'll tell ya, that first photo really looks to me like a kid on a tree.

I don't mind if I'm wrong, but if I am, tell me why is all. This a fun challenge, and in the spirit of a smile,

that cat up the tree is fully grown and loves this little exercise, he gets milk for this or chopped meat. he loves the crowd cheering, a real show off:-)
Old Jul 9, 2004, 7:50 AM   #9

Here are three more shots taken at the same time. I think I worked out why I over sharpened the first lot of photos. I was working on the sharpening method posted here (Eric posted it i think?????) for birds. I used the same levels but this did not work for the tigers.

Remember these are in digital zoom, sorry for the quality of some.

This guy has his turn on the tree. The rope is to protect the tree, not the tigers, they were killing the trees:-)

This tiger weights about 420lbs, Having his carton of milk

This is the white tiger from the first tree shot, he is no baby. Look closely for the few scars on his nose from the odd fight. The trainers watch over these guys a lot. They will not let them fight (quite funny when you see the tigers get told off by the men, the tigers sulk after being told off) they are too precious to get damaged. All funds from donations goes to the save the tigers fund.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 1:50 AM   #10

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrretings from Argentine friends!!

Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote