Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:36 AM   #1

Went to a local park to practice bird in flight shots. Saw couple of terns flying & diving for fish. Man, it was tough taking shots of them, they were flying too fast for me. I used AI Servo mode but not much help. Need to practice more. Here are some ok shots.

I liked this one the best

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:46 AM   #2

Terns are hard to shoot. The ones where I am will often stop and hover just before they dive. That is probably the best time to get them. Also, if you study where they are diving, you can get lucky and see that they are going into the same general area because there is a school of fish there. If that is true, then you can try to prefocus with a large fstop (larger DOF) and guess where they will dive. Its not easy, but it does work.

I like these shots, well done. They can fly really fast.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 12:32 PM   #3

I think that you did pretty good on these shots - I like them! The sky looks to have some noise in it... post-processing effect or higher ISO exposures?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 10:30 AM   #4

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
I think that you did pretty good on these shots - I like them! The sky looks to have some noise in it... post-processing effect or higher ISO exposures?
I couldn't figure out where the noise is coming from. I don't see in my originals. I tried lower compression but it is still there. I even tried no USM, but no help. Maybe resizng on smugmug.com is causing it.

Old Jul 10, 2004, 10:32 AM   #5

Thanks to Eric S tip, I was able to get couple of better shots.

Soft in focus (still learning the camera)

Old Jul 10, 2004, 11:24 AM   #6

I am really impressed by the 10D and what you are learning to do with it. My time will come when I have the good gear too, but not yet.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 9:30 AM   #7

I think these shots are pretty good. Ive only had my digital rebel a couple of weeks and birds have been what Im practicing on too. I have found them to be difficult subjects and a great challenge.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 9:01 PM   #8

These are nice flight photos bobby. I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to on the softness issue with the last two; my only comment would be on the very slight out of focused wing tip on the first of the last batch of two. That could simply be a result of two things:

1. The wing was moving faster and the tips are going the fastest so they will be blurred

2. The aperture you set isn't quite stopped down enough for a sufficient depth of focus.

This is nitpicking to me though...very good flight captures.

PS - my favorite of all of them is #4 (had it been cropped just a bit so I could see more of the nice photo and less of the open blue sky that really has nothing important to offer me personally). I personally like the wing position and sense of direction on this one. This guy's goin' somewhere important!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote