Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 11, 2004, 9:32 PM   #11

If andre has not used any post processing this one definitely handles noise better than the FZ10. The "L" glass also seems to work wonderfully, as long as we know all of the details.

The question you need to look at is whether or not it is set up well to photograph birds. Does it have a good shutter, quick, and a nice manual focus. You do "not" need shutter lag, and photographing bees on flowers is much different than birds wandering about on trees and flying. Please take that stuff into consideration as well.

With the FZ10 I can verify and prove that it can take great bird photographs, as hummer and zoomn have done as well.

So, beyond what I say above, you are on your own.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 9:39 PM   #12

I looked at the specs and review of the S1 and while it has some very capable features, it is not that much different from the c-8080wz that I already own. It's max zoom is 7.1x (28-200mm in 35mm equivalence) which isn't a great difference from mine either. On dpreview.com Phil's review lists the following cons:
  • Vignetting / lens shading at maximum aperture [/*]
  • Visible noise from ISO 100 upwards [/*]
  • Slower than expected startup time [/*]
  • Limited latitude of image parameter adjustment [/*]
  • No AF assist lamp [/*]
  • No live view histogram [/*]
  • Lower than advertised continuous shooting speed [/*]
  • Long CF write times for Super-Fine images (4.8 sec) [/*]
  • Disappointing battery life - camera bug? [/*]
  • Poor automatic white balance in artificial light [/*]
  • No WB fine tuning
[/*]
I will stick with the FZ10 or its successor to be announced on the 20th (maybe to be announced).

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 9:45 PM   #13

Sounds like Steve might agree with your decision as well.

Knowing your focus and direction and that you will be photographing outside 95% of the time, you'll be very happy with the FZ10

And, even "indoors" if you buy an inexpensive external flash that has a rotating head you will get "excellent" 50 ISO photos indoors as well. I know because I have done it myself. I have no trouble getting good indoor photos with the FZ10 coupled to my external flash. The only thing is that you need to do some "chimping" while shooting inside. Shoot with the rotating head pointed at subject, chimp, if overexposed then point head more vertically, shoot, chimp, if still overexposed, repeat, until you get the exact exposure you want.

Shoot and Chimp with external flash with rotating head will completely solve your "indoor" problems with the FZ10.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:00 PM   #14

Chimping? Little 'ol naive me has never heard that term before. I'll need a bit more explanation on this one!

As for FZ10 indoor photography... for the most part I'll not have to worry about it. I've decided that I'll keep my c-8080wz for the time being and it has a really good built-in flash unit providing plenty of light for indoor photography. The FZ10 is going to be my wildlife camera.

Next year after I've had time to save for the dslr, I will sell off my c-8080wz and buy a small p&s that will be my take anywhere and anytimecamera, being able to fit in a pants pocket (perhaps the Sony Cybershot or something like it).
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:43 PM   #15

I'd suggest that you don't sell any of your cameras because you will probably take too much of a loss, the technology moves too fast. And they will come in handy if you think about it. Here's an example of how I look at it:

I will keep my FZ10 for bike riding when I can hold it in my hand while riding

I will keep my Lumix FZ10 1.5 teleconverter to put on the end of my 100mm F2 canon and 50-500 (when necessary) and of course to put on the end of my FZ10 in order to have a 630mm reach at 2.8 aperture.

I will keep my G5 for my students to learn how to use manual features and to understand what add-ons are, etc (since I have both tele and wide angle addons). It's a camera that I wouldn't freak out allowing the students to take out on their own without supervision.

I'll keep my Rebel as a secondary when and if I ever purchase another camera body (which I already have, but that's a future post)

I will never go Nikon since I've invested my soul into Canon, so they'd better do a good job of providing, or I'm going to call for a very long pit stop.

PS - Chimping is "looking" at the LCD screen after you take a photo to see if it's acceptable or not.

Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:50 PM   #16

Yeah, you are probably right that I shouldn't sell the camera. After I'd written that I thought about it and came to the conclusion that I wouldn't really sell it but more likely would just give it to my daughter who still shoots with film and really wants a digital (but can't afford one right now).

You really have a lot invested in Canon equipment, especially after that 1D Mk II you'll be getting, so I don't see how anything but Canon could be an option for you. You think maybe that this is the way companies get you to "lock in" to them? If they ever got together to establish standards for lens mounts, AF mechanisms, etc, they'd probably be hurting themselves.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:58 PM   #17

With your daughter... tell her she owes me one.

With the companies... I'd say, yep

By the way, geoff, I'm impressed with the way you input in this wildlife forum. Between you and Vito, wow, I'm impressed and thankful to you for being so kind to respond to so many people.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 11:07 PM   #18

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
By the way, geoff, I'm impressed with the way you input in this wildlife forum. Between you and Vito, wow, I'm impressed and thankful to you for being so kind to respond to so many people.
Thanks, Norm, and the same goes even double for you. And vito, there are hardly words to describe him. He is 15 and just simply amazing!

I figure that I receive back much more than I contribute. Yeah, it takes time but there are many ways to spend time that is not productive. Photography is a record that is passed down to the next generations and therefore more worthwhile IMHO than doing alot of other things (like watching tv - although I gotta admit that I'm a tennis nut and will watch tennis whenever it's televised).
Old Jul 11, 2004, 11:19 PM   #19

geoff, you forgot to mention golf. Perhaps I'm interpreting too much here, but, since I read that you took a few photos at the golf course, well, as a golfermyself, I noticed that. So you probably watch some golf as well as tennis. Just thought I'd include that in priorities above and beyond television...unless Tiger is playing.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 11:23 PM   #20

I do sometimes watch golf on television but I am a wretched golfer. A par 3 course is more like a par 9 course for me. I'm left-handed so perhaps that might explain it. The reason I often shoot pictures at the golf course is because I live in a development that has a golf course snaking through it and my house is about 2 blocks off one of the holes.

Now, tennis I can handle. I'm pretty fair at tennis and lefties are said to have an advantage in the sport (I haven't noticed much of an advantage yet for myself). Plus, it's a bit more aerobic than golf. My older son loves golf and is also very good at it (like a 10 handicap).