Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 13, 2004, 2:34 PM   #41

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Wait a sec. Change color?? No one told me they could do that!!! You just might inspire me to go looking for these little critters.
Eric, they can change their color. This article explains their characteristics and mentions about their color changing abilities...

I'd love to see your photos if you do look for them, especially to see how your expertise and dslr stacks up against what I've posted - it's bound to be better!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 3:03 PM   #42

Superb! I've captured a crab spider or two, but never "in the act". Can you elaborate on the scene - were these two moving around at all or was it a relatively static scene that gave you time to compose? Did you stick around to see the outcome? Just wondering what little crabbie managed to do with Mr. Bumble - he seems rather exposed out on that petal.

I'd just like to add - whereas I appreciate all the technical discussion on how to "perfect" these shots, I think what stands out in these pictures is the sheer DRAMA - while marvelling at this sceneit's distracting to think about how to improve upon it; it could be half out of focus and I would still think it was cool!

When I happen upon a bizarre scene in nature like this it is very difficult to think about exposure, composition, etc. I'm lucky to remember to get the lens cap off in time.

Nice work!

Cheers

TOX
toxomerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 4:39 PM   #43

Thank you, toxomerus!

The scene was very static. I was looking around among the flowers of the Rose of Sharon shrub in my backyard and only chanced upon this scene. When I first saw it, it took my breath away and it did shock me for a few seconds. I realized that this was the kind of macro opportunity I just had to capture. So, I set my tripod and camera up so that, using supermacro mode, I was at minimum focus distance (about 2").

I don't know how long it takes for the spider's venom to paralyze a victim of this size, but when I discovered them the bumblebee looked to already be completely paralyzed and immobile. I also don't know how long it takes for this crab spider to fully liquefy the internals of the bee and extract them. I do know that over a period of perhaps an hour I was watching and periodically photographing them and I only saw the crab spider shift position a few times and only a few millimeters at most.

The next morning I went out to see if I could observe them and the Rose of Sharon flower had already shriveled up with the spider nowhere in sight (or the bee).

I think the reason that we talk about how to improve a shot is for several reasons:

1. Many of us tend towards the perfectionist end of the photography scale.
2. We want to showcase the pictures we take as best as is possible and this consists of a combination of getting it right during the picture taking and the post-processing that comes afterwards.
3. To enable us to be quicker and more correct the next time we come upon such a scene and want to photograph it. A lot of opportunities are fleeting, unlike this one, and the better we become at technique, the better chance we have of capturing the moment.

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:05 PM   #44

thanks for the details - fascinating!

Good points all regarding refinement of technique and outcome.

Also enjoyed your spider/honey bee shots: who would've thought another opportunity so soon! It is amazing what you notice if you slow down to look around.

Cheers / TOX
toxomerus is offline   Reply With Quote