Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 11, 2004, 8:24 PM   #1

I couldn't find this duck in my bird book. It makes a loud cluck noise when alarmed.

This is my closest shot yet of the Kingbird. I was only about 10' from this one. Would you say this is overexposed? I thought the detail was really good but it looks a little bright. I darkened it a bit but it was a very bright morning.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2004, 8:38 PM   #2

Great shot of the kingbird, zoomn! I like the detail and it is obvious you got very close. Did you shoot with the full 700mm or so of your FZ1/c-210?

The first bird is not a duck, it's an American Coot.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:00 PM   #3

Ha ha, I just got my chuckle of the day!

Before I read your post, geoff, and before zoomn's image downloaded I "knew" that he was talking about the Coot, since I wandered out to a swamp this week, in chest weighters (sp?), in order to get out to the action. I got right out there and only 3 things were moving...rain clouds, my legs trying not to fall into the swamp, and the Coot's gullet "clucking" away.

While waiting for the images to download I scrolled down to the "ident" that you gave...Coot!

Nice shot zoomn, it looks like exactly the same swamp I was wading in. This bird has personality from my experiences with it. And I think it's probably a very good parent from what I've seen.

Great photo of that Kingbird. This is another bird with a personality that causes one to watch for hours without missing TV.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:05 PM   #4

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
...I wandered out to a swamp this week, in chest weighters (sp?), in order to get out to the action. I got right out there and only 3 things were moving...rain clouds, my legs trying not to fall into the swamp...
And I got the second chuckle of the day! If you were wading out into the swamp in weighters, I can certainly understand why you were having trouble keeping from falling into the swamp :-) :-) Next time be sure to put on a pair of chest waders...
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:33 PM   #5

I knew something wrong was happening there, thanks. Yes, I was wading...why couldn't I connect with that?

In order to defer the idiocy, thanks zoomn for sharing, especially that Kingbird who seems to be sitting on that fence, waiting to attack the next hornet the comes by.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:36 PM   #6

Hope you didn't take that the wrong way Norm. It just brought a smile to my face and I couldn't help but point it out.

And zoomn - sorry to reroute your thread to nonsense...
Old Jul 11, 2004, 11:03 PM   #7

geoff, the "wrong" related to my spelling of weighters rather than waders.:shock:
Old Jul 11, 2004, 11:30 PM   #8

lol.....you guys are funny...that made me smile too geoffs...

about the kingbird being entertaining to watch, i love watching sparrows....especially them flying around the fields...just so cool looking when they fly, and the shape their wings make...

anyway..nice shots!

good job geoffs and norm on the ID....you're getting good!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 11:34 PM   #9

Ack, Vito, on ident things don't even begin to put me anywhere near geoff's level. I refuse it. I'm learning, but still in grade 1, probably even a lower grade than you, since I think that you know more than what you profess even. Just a guess, though.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 11:35 PM   #10

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
good job geoffs and norm on the ID....you're getting good!
Haha, vito! I was just being slapped on the wrist in another threadby Barbara for being too humble and not accepting accolades. I've learned my lesson and will show you that I've learned my lesson...

Whadda you mean "getting good" - we are good!