Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 15, 2004, 9:12 AM   #11

Ok just giving an opinion here.

I think your best two shots are of the two blue birds on the wire over the water and the one under it where you took the shot of the bird from the rear and he is looking to the right and has the hair sticking straight up.

My favorite is the one from the rear bird looking to the right hair sticking straight up.

Very interesting angle, pose, colors and an awesome looking bird.

The blue birds are a smidget brilliant. If you could tone down the colors on them a bit that is an excellent shot also.

Just my opinion but if it were me I would go with the bird with the hair sticking straight up,

I love that shot!
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 9:39 AM   #12

thanks, I like the "sticking up" head dress on that bird too, very hip and funky dont you think:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:54 PM   #13

Yep, enter the pigeon, it will probably win.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 8:33 AM   #14

changed me mind (just like a woman:-)) and Im working on getting better shots
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:13 PM   #15

You could do very well no matter which one you entered! They're all awesome! The lighting on the first and second though is beautiful... the red/orange tones the sunset light gives them looks awesome with the blue sky.
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 2:16 PM   #16

Are you able to I.D. these for us?

I vote for the 2nd Honey Eater - love that dramatic early morning (or late evening?) light, and the stark "Y" perch. The head cocked around makes it more dramatic too, giving it a sense of motion...

Are those Rock Doves on the rope over water? Are they as commonplace down under as in N. America?

I'd like to know what the last one is - very cool, at least from a birder's perspective. My second fave is the "Alfalfa Partridge" (y'know, Alfalfa of Little Rascals fame?) - beautiful!
toxomerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 3:01 PM   #17

In the second set of pictures i'm torn between the punk pigeon and the ostridge. I like the pigeon for the reasons others have stated. It's also technically a good shot. There is some funkyness with the sharp eye but the blury head... I don't get what happened there. Maybe it's the wind, but it looks funny to me.

I don't know how common (or easy) that ostridge head shot is but I like it. Great detail, good expression. Kinda captures the nature of thoses beasts. I like it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 4:56 PM   #18

Well, Julie, just to complicate your life, I'm with Eric on that ostrich head shot. The sight of that grizzled head is so detailed and up close that it just grabs your attention.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 8:33 PM   #19

toxomerus wrote:
Quote:
Are you able to I.D. these for us?

I vote for the 2nd Honey Eater - love that dramatic early morning (or late evening?) light, and the stark "Y" perch. The head cocked around makes it more dramatic too, giving it a sense of motion...

Are those Rock Doves on the rope over water? Are they as commonplace down under as in N. America?

I'd like to know what the last one is - very cool, at least from a birder's perspective. My second fave is the "Alfalfa Partridge" (y'know, Alfalfa of Little Rascals fame?) - beautiful!

The honeyeaters were taken at about 5 in the afternoon.

The birds on the rope are just pidgeons who live around the boats at our local wharf.

last one is another honeyeater in Black and white
Old Jul 17, 2004, 2:39 AM   #20

I like the second to last one, but I think the shot is the lower right corner,where the duck is paddling away from you, the wave angle mimics the ducks bill. Crop maybe?

I also like no. 2 because the bill follows the line of the branch making for wonderful angles.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote