Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 14, 2004, 1:15 AM   #1

Just a couple of pictures of wood duck babies I found. Hope you don't mind, I just thought they were cute! :-)

photo_mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2004, 1:19 AM   #2

Absolutely spectacular and extremely cute. Super capture! Especially the last one where the background seems to bring everything together wonderfully. In the first one the background competes with the little duck for attention. Otherwise, perfect!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 9:00 AM   #3

They are cute, photo_mage! Thanks for posting these.

I've gotta be different (sorry Norm) - I like the first picture more but for reasons that have nothing to do with photographic goodness. I just like this picture because it is easier for me to see all the identifying characteristics which are very well displayed in this photograph.

Photo_mage, while you took these photos, how close were you to the ducklings and where was the mother and father during this time?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:11 AM   #4

Nice pics. Did you get any shots of the parents. Wood ducks are so colorful.

Thanks for sharing these shot of the little fuzzballs. Nice clear shots.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:21 PM   #5

Thanks geoffs.

I was less than 8ft from the duckling in the first pic, and about 15ft away from the second. The mother in the first pic was nearby, she and the babies were browsing on the banks of the pond near the path. She was hesitant at first, and the other babies were more suspicious, but this one was a bit bolder.

In the second pic, the mother had gone off, and the babies were patiently wating on the branch for her to come back.

As to the father, I've only seen baby ducklings with a male once. And I'm not sure he was actually with the ducklings, or just happened to be nearby.

Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:24 PM   #6

Thanks Norm. I think you probably have noticed that my pics tend to be more of the snapshot variety. Cute, but nothing to write home about compositionally. I hope that as I take more pictures, I will be able to improve that and hopefully have some cute compositions! :-)
Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:27 PM   #7

Thanks for the info, photo_mage.

I've got to ask you... in that last photo you posted... is that a photo of the one time that you've seen the male parent with the ducklings? Because that is a male wood duck in that picture- the females are pretty dull colored but distinguished by having a crested head and a white eye patch.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:43 PM   #8

Thanks zoomn. Yeah I just love the wood ducks (We have a lot at the park I frequent).

Mom and kids at the beach (Including one who seems to be remembering what it was like to be and egg).

Male wood duck in the fall.

Female wood duck with the kids.

Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:45 PM   #9

Yes, that is the only time I've ever seen a male with the ducklings. There were several female ducks in the vicinity too so it probably was just a male duck that happened to be in the area and not necessarily the father.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:13 PM   #10

That male wood duck shot (where he is in the water) is fantastic. The reflections of the trees in the water around him frame him perfectly.

It seems like you have a site where the wood ducks have become really used to people. All the wood ducks I've ever encountered have been extremely wary of humans.