Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:03 PM   #1

This dad quail was telling me all about it. I had just spooked him and about 20 babies all over the place. He stood on this fence about 20 feet away next to the mom and was raising a fuss.

http://zoomit.smugmug.com/photos/6158603-M.jpg

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:15 PM   #2

I like this shot very much zoomn. It's a teensy blown out on the right but, hey, you got him at a terrific moment. The quail that I see (and there are lots of them where my in-laws live) scurry around so quickly that it's tough to ever get good looks at them.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 1:32 AM   #3

Beautiful capture zoomn, and in a very intense situation! Waa, I wanted to see some of the babies too. Oh well, next time. What an interesting looking bird. It reminds me of how wild west dance girls dressed up for the stage.

By the way, you have some magnificent line movement in this one, the verticals of the post and the organic "s" turns of the quail breaking it up. This crop was an excellent decision on your part.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 9:07 AM   #4

Thanks for taking a look and for your positive comments.

I see quail all the time and normally don't stop to take pictures but I was trying to get a couple shots of the babies and they don't stand still where you can see them.

Yes the right side is pretty blown out and the left side is pretty shadowed. As you all know birds are tough. The won't stand still and let you get into position to get the light right, whats up with that!

Anyway I brought it down as much as I could and still have the color show in the shadow. I think the best part of the shot is the pose and as normcar mentioned the difference in line and texture between the bird and the post. Thanks for noticing the crop decision normcar, appreciate your remarks.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 3:38 PM   #5

What a weird looking bird, hehe

Nice pose it has zoomn

Cheers
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 3:54 PM   #6

Eric can, don't you have quail up in your neck of the woods. I thought they were all over.

They are a neat looking bird. My favorite is the chuckar however, I have been chasing them all over in vain trying to get a good shot.