Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 15, 2004, 2:32 AM   #1

Here are a few evening photos I took of the Willet tonight (ack, this may be the Yellowlegs). Any critique comments (both positive and negative)would be appreciated, thanks.

Sunset

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2004, 8:56 AM   #2

That first shot is very nice. You were able to get pretty good color to come out even in the shadow. Was there some photoediting magic that brought out that color, nice job if it was.

The second shot, for me, I would have cropped it to emphasize the excellent silhouette and to try to work that big bead of water sitting there on the end of its beak about to fall. I really like the shot, it is a very nice silhouette withe grass on the bank adding nicely to the scene.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 9:41 AM   #3

I like the sunlight falling on the bird in shot #1. I woule have liked to see the catch-light in his eye. Maybe a little fill-flash.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 9:54 AM   #4

Norm, as usual for you, good captures on both. I am not going to say that the bird is not the willet even though you expressed some hesitation and thought it could be the Greater Yellowlegs. It's too difficult to tell size here because there is nothing to compare it to and you can't tell in the first photo if the legs are yellow or dark (willet has dark legs). Did you see it fly? If so, the willet has the unforgettable flashy white wing pattern and yellowlegs do not have that.

It's the second picture that does it for me, cropped just the way you cropped it. I could imagine it in a tall and narrow frame on the wall. For me, the scene is a commentary on the solitude of the lone willet in a great expanse.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:58 PM   #5

geoff, that's exactly why I cropped it the way I did. I spent a great deal of time setting up the camera on tripod vertically in order to get this exact expression. You explain it nicely and I appreciate the comments.

Thanks to you others for your kind comments as well.

PS - I definitely see "yellow" on those legs, and I personally wouldn't attribute it to the light reflection. I didn't even notice the yellow until I downloaded the photo. One huge difference between the Willet and Yellowlegs is the leg color.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:11 PM   #6

Well, if you believe that the bird had yellow legs and what we see in the photo is not the result of the sunlight at sunset, then we'll just go with a Greater Yellowlegs!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:20 PM   #7

Thanks geoff, I've seen both of these birds for months, spending a great deal of time watching them, and the yellow legs is definitely a major distinction between the two. It's cool that one can look at these areas in order to be able to tell differences.