Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 17, 2004, 9:58 PM   #1

I found a neat surprise today at the marsh, I was after male Common Yellowthroat, seen 2 of them few times, never been able to get a clear shot. Now the big surprise was to find the entire family, LOL :lol:

I arrived at a spot I knew lots of birds pass-by during the day, while I was setting-up my tripod, heard the famous common Yellowthroat (interestingly in French its called Paruline Masquee - direct translation is Masked Warbler - which makes more sense to me). Then saw the male, female (no clear shots) and 2 juvenile. One of them was I think a future leader, at least he was more active and was more curious. This little fellow kept returning

Been raining a lot lately, lots of small ponds all over the place, I had to litterally do some detour just to get to my spot, lots of moskitos... And the little fellow went for baths, cause he had this wet look and the feathers was all messed up. Technical note, I have no clue but today my lens was tack sharp. I didn't change my post-processing habit but its clearly sharper... Don't know why.

He clearly went for a bath before returning on this one :

I was at 30 feet on that one, I still dont comprehend why it was still as sharp as this.

Cheers everyone

Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2004, 11:04 PM   #2

Eric, what a great series of shots! The bird is absolutely tack sharp in these pictures. It looks like your DOF was good enough to get practically the entire youngster in focus except perhaps some of the tail.

I'm glad that you were actually able to have the parents around for identification of these young ones. Female, immature, and fall plumages of warblers can be very confusing without that kind of confirmation. Even in this young one there is a characteristic that doesn't fall into line with what the guidebooks say - the immature Common Yellowthroat is supposed to be like the female in having a yellow chest but a white belly. But this young one seems to be more yellow on the belly than white!

Sorry, but I have no explanation for why your lens might be sharper on this trip than it would be on other outings.

Thanks for posting these!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 5:28 PM   #3

Beautiful shots. Thanks for posting.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 7:09 PM   #4

You're welcome Bobbyz

Yes Geoff, I knew what they were when I saw both parent. Unless we're in presence of 2 female with one juvenile, LOL !

Haven't seen Yellowthroat with white belly yet. Sub species perhaps ?

Old Jul 18, 2004, 8:54 PM   #5

Eric CAN wrote:
Quote:
I think the yellower bellies of the birds you are seeing is due to geographic variation. Look at this quote from the Cornell website...

From http://birds.cornell.edu/BOW/cy_throat/:
Quote:
Upperparts of both sexes are olive gray to olive brown. The throat, breast, and undertail coverts are bright yellow in males, and paler in females. The belly is whitish. The exact extent of the yellow and white of the underparts varies geographically.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 9:02 PM   #6

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
Eric CAN wrote:
Quote:
I think the yellower bellies of the birds you are seeing is due to geographic variation. Look at this quote from the Cornell website...

From http://birds.cornell.edu/BOW/cy_throat/:
Quote:
Upperparts of both sexes are olive gray to olive brown. The throat, breast, and undertail coverts are bright yellow in males, and paler in females. The belly is whitish. The exact extent of the yellow and white of the underparts varies geographically.

Must be the quality of our insects :homey:

LOL
Old Jul 18, 2004, 9:11 PM   #7

Eric CAN wrote:
Quote:
Must be the quality of our insects :homey:
You mean similar to the food I feed my tropical fish that is supposed to enhance their colors? :-)
Old Jul 18, 2004, 9:22 PM   #8

LOL !! I thought I was alone doing that, ever tried Cobalt to enhance the purple in them ? :|
Old Jul 18, 2004, 9:28 PM   #9

Haha - nope, never used cobalt on them! Why don't you post some pictures of your tropical fish? They're not what I would call classic wildlife so perhaps you should post them in the Other Photos category. I had already posted some shots of some of my fish in this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=10
Old Jul 18, 2004, 9:30 PM   #10

Was joking Geoff, don't have an aquarium here