Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 18, 2004, 12:19 AM   #1

I don't know what these are, and the second picture isn't my best. But I kinda like them any ways. Believe it or not, on this nice sunny day (which you can kinda see) I was driven away from my walk by rain. Just one small dark cloud hanging out raining where I was. Not fair, I tell you.

This was taken at the Old North Bridge, of the American Revolution fame. There is a fair amount of open space, but still a decent number of trees (and people.)

I'm interested if people know what this is. I don't, and some brief skimming of the bird book didn't show me any thing. I didn't get to see its back, but that head should make it easy (just not for me. :-) )

Well, I gotta get to bed, I need to be up in less than 5 hours and drive for an hour to get some shore bird shots.

night all.

Camera (only guesses) 600mm 1.4xTC 1/300 f6.7 0.5 or +1EC RAW
Photoshop: RAW convert with exposure drop, curves, reduce, sharpen. Touch of levels to help bring out the bird's details for id.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2004, 1:14 AM   #2

Hi Eric. These are some nicely detailed shots. The second picture has the bird in an unusual posture - I rarely see birds where the wing is drawn forward like that and they are lifting their leg behind the wing to... what? ..*****atch it's head? preen the top of the wing?

Eric, didn't you determine that this was a chipping sparrow? It's has classic chipping sparrow features except that what is supposed to be a white eye stripe (above the black one) is much grayer. As we move out of the breeding season it's normal for the birds to change plumage to a duller plumage for fall and winter. In any case, there's no other North American sparrow I know of that has a rusty cap and a black eye stripe and a forked tail.

Here's a picture of a chipping sparrow in its non-breeding plumage:

http://content.ornith.cornell.edu/UE...2_00580B_S.jpg
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 1:45 AM   #3

eric, I think that capture of the leg catching an itch is priceless. What shutter were you at, as this leg is completely frozen and you are "soooo" close. Ack, I'm so absolutely jealous.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 9:29 AM   #4

Thanks for the ID. A look in Sibley's makes me think you are right (not a surprise!) I'm not sure I've seen one before, but maybe I have and not noticed..

I was originally trying to get a picture of some goldfinches, but they kept chasing each other. It was kinda funny to watch, one would land for about 10 seconds and the other would dart in and chase it again. And they just kept going around and around....

So I gave up on that and this little guy presented its self. He was in shadow, so it was a bit tricky.

I've figured out what he's doing in the second picture.... waving "hi". :-)

Eric
Old Jul 18, 2004, 9:36 AM   #5

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the ID. A look in Sibley's makes me think you are right (not a surprise!) I'm not sure I've seen one before, but maybe I have and not noticed..
I enjoy the "puzzles" that you present. It helps me get back into the "fold" after so many years away. Thanks!

Quote:
I was originally trying to get a picture of some goldfinches, but they kept chasing each other. It was kinda funny to watch, one would land for about 10 seconds and the other would dart in and chase it again. And they just kept going around and around....
Funny you should mention that. There is a pair of nesting goldfinches that nest in the trees at the side of the buildings where I work. From my 2nd floor vantage point I can watch their antics. Several times now I've seen the male chasing another male all around the parking lot adjacent to the building. Their territories must be fairly large because this male is trying to manage what appears to be an area of about half of a football field in size! I wouldn't have imagined a territory that large for these small birds. They sure are acrobats when flying around!

Quote:
I've figured out what he's doing in the second picture.... waving "hi".
Well, gee, I think you have figured it out - it does look like he is looking at you and waving hi :-)
Old Jul 18, 2004, 9:56 AM   #6

Eric, I have an idea for a modification of the second picture (the "hi" pose). Sort of like Norm's Wingnutz series idea. Do you mind if I modify the picture and repost in Funny Photos? I'll only do it if it's okay with you.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 5:43 PM   #7

Sure, go right ahead. If you want, I can upload the original and send you the link.

Eric
Old Jul 18, 2004, 7:20 PM   #8

Hi Eric, nice pose they have And worst case scenario lighting indeed, I hate when this is happening, LOL !

About shoot to the right, I worked this out today with my Yellowthroat (the male, see my photos). I was at ISO400, cause I needed the speed, these buggers moves constantly. And I nailed the exposure , it was virtually on the edge where the histogram of the camera flashes. Do you use this feature with your 10D ? When I take a shot, automatically I see the histogram and a small image appear, that's set for 4 sec. I use more and more spot metering now with good sucesss.

Also what I do now is, if I'm in a area I tend to meter various scene where I think birds will go. Memorize these settings and then I wait for the moment. Many time I have to jump from 1 ISO setting to the next since there's huge disparity of lights. I try to do this more than coming from lets say 1/640 sec to 1/320 sec or vice-versa. In C1 Rebel (C1 LE is the same), I set the exposure warning at 0.5%, I believe the camera is set at 1% or something. It's very tight indeed.

For example today, the camera was not showing the warning, but I could see on the LCD that the white details were on the edge, but since it doesn't flash with the histogram, I still have latitude to play with. But in C1, at 0.5% it flashes. But it's recuperable by playing with EC.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 8:15 PM   #9

Yes, the lighting on this one was... less than ideal. :-)

I do have it display the histogram and I check it (not as often as I should) to make sure I haven't blown the exposure (by the blinking parts.) The trouble with doing that is that it only does it for max white. It doesn't do it when only one of the channels has been maxed. It has to be all of them. At least, that is my understanding from this article:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...-clipped.shtml

Which is a nice article, but I found it didn't do as good a job as I'd have liked. Of course, I might have done it wrong, so I need to investigate it. The concept, though, is sound.

Eric

ps. Looks like I blew the sharpening a bit on that second picture. Something is funny around the head of that bird. How did I miss that?
Old Jul 18, 2004, 10:18 PM   #10

Ok, thanks for the permission to butcher your photo Eric. Here's what I've come up with. I won't post it to the Funny Photos section under the Wingnutz title until Norm says it's ok to steal some of his thunder.

In any case, do you (or anyone else reading this) remember the 1969 pop song named, Na NaHey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye, by a group named Steam? You're probably too young, but I'm sure you've heard the song played at sporting events. Here's the song:

Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye

...and here is how I modified the picture using the song as an idea:

Attached Images