Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 23, 2004, 10:49 PM   #21

Just following up here:

I haven't seen this bird again in the last few days. I am assuming that sooner or later I will see him at these ponds and I want to be ready for him when he does reappear. Both Erics, I believe your suggestions were for me to use spot metering (or should I use center-weighted?) and to meter on the brightest white feathers of the heron, set the EC down by -1 or so, and then to use the camera's auto-bracketing capabilities to bracket the EC from there. Did I get that straight? I hope so...

(Norm, if you read this I'd be interested in what you have to say for how I should expose to get maximum detail on this bird)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 11:25 PM   #22

Between the parrot and this photo, it's clear that you need nothing more than what you already have to get good ones.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 11:31 PM   #23

Norm, I will accept that you are correct except that it depends on my being able to find a bird willing to be approached closely enough. Most aren't. So, greater focal length is desirable and I need lots of practice for learning about how best to expose for greatest detail. Right now I am shooting mostly aperture priority and still haven't taken the step to full manual.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 7:29 PM   #24

Geoffs,

Yes, in my GB Heron photo he has a fish of some kind. That pond is almost dried up now. He hasn't been there for a while. It has been very hot here. Today I saw a green heron at a smaller pond in the same area. It is a shy bird compared to the great blue. The green flew into a snag about 40 feet or more up. I did get a digital zoom picture but nothing compared to Eric's. At least I can confirm what it was.
SoOregon is offline   Reply With Quote