Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 21, 2004, 9:08 AM   #1

I was chasing the heron around yesterday and came over the hill and here was this doe out in the field at about 150 yards, so I cranked up the zoom and took this shot.

Then on the way back to cross the road I got a shot of this young robin in the top of a tree.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2004, 9:27 AM   #2

Good shots, zoomn! Bonuses during your attempt to catch a shot of that heron! If nothing else, that heron is succeeding in getting you out so you can get photos of other wildlife! :-)

Zoomn, do you also use digital zoom when you take your photos? I ask because I've seen postings on other boards from people with the same camera as mine, and they are using full digital zoom in addition to optical and the pictures are looking better than if I post-processed to get the equivalent digital zoom. It's making me reconsider my methods...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 9:41 AM   #3

love the second,

what camera ?

i test my kyocera m410r with the digital zoom and i have good result at 1.3x and 2x, after that it's not very sharpand with color degradation.
chris doudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 9:51 AM   #4

geoffs,

Thanks for taking a look.

The doe picture I am pretty sure was taken at full digital zoom with the c-210 1.9x teleconverter, that converts to about 800mm.

On really far away stuff I use digital zoom most of the time. I find it comes out about the same with my camera if I max on optical and then crop or if I just use digital zoom.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 9:59 AM   #5

zoomn wrote:
Quote:
On really far away stuff I use digital zoom most of the time. I find it comes out about the same with my camera if I max on optical and then crop or if I just use digital zoom.
I had always believed that doing the equivalent of digital zoom in post-processing was somehow better because you could apply more sophisticated resizing algorithms during the post-processing. However, on my particular camera, the Olympus c-8080wz, people have been reporting that the onboard firmware/hw combo is doing a really good job of negating the bad effects of digital zoom. I think I am going to have to do some experimentation of my own!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote