Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 21, 2004, 9:32 AM   #1

Finally got a couple closer shots of a red wing blackbird yesterday with the sun on the right side of the bird. I think my camerahas a tough time with black, or maybe it is just the pilot. I have taken lots of shots of these black birdsbut they never seem to come out very good. So realizing these aren't technically great here ya go.

Sorry these shots are so small. (Question: How do I make my pictures show in a bigger size when I post them here)

I tried a couple different exposures.

This one is a little further away. He is carrying a huge grasshopper.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:10 AM   #2

I like that last shot the best zoomn - it seems sharp and it holds interest because the RWB is holding the grasshopper in its bill.

From what I can tell, everyone has problems with all black birds - you are definitely not alone. I think Eric S and Eric CAN can give you better advice on that than myself so hopefully they'll weigh in at some point.

I think the only way to get your pictures to show in a larger size is to make sure the image you are providing the link to is of a sufficient size. If these are just small crops off of the original images you are going to have to resample them up to a sufficient size.

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:22 AM   #3

geoffs,

Agree, I like the last one best also, that bird was about 30 yards away, serious zoom factor. I like the pose on the first one but just couldn't get it the colors right.

I will have to read up on resampling, I don't know what that is. Thanks for the info.

Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:58 AM   #4

What image editing program are you using, zoomn? Most programs have a resize menu option. When you resize up, make sure to use the program's highest quality method for resampling (usually bicubic, but could be lanczos).

Here's one page (there are many - do a google search on resampling) that describes resampling and resizing images:

http://www.graphicsguy.org/graphicsg...3/gg03_03.html
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:27 PM   #5

Thanks Geoffs,

That is all pretty over my head at this point. But I will read through it again tonight when I have longer.

I had thought that changing the image dimension from 640 x 480 to 800x600 made the picture bigger. Is that not the case?

I have Picture it 7 which I have been using for awhile. Pretty basic. I have not noticed a resize option.

I have Gimp which I have a hard time doing anything on cause the tutorials don't match the program.

I just got a copy of Photoshop Elements 2 which I need to load and start learning how to use. That will probably be my best option as there are many instructions available.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:35 PM   #6

zoomn wrote:
Quote:
Sorry these shots are so small. (Question: How do I make my pictures show in a bigger size when I post them here)

To make pictures bigger, put link to the bigger picture from your smugmug site. If you look at the properties of you first shot, you have used link like:

http://zoomit.smugmug.com/photos/6377284-S.jpg

which is a small file (-S). When you use Large file, it will show as -L and Original is -O. Just open the file size which you want to post, right click on it, cut&paste the link.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:37 PM   #7

Here is the large picture.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Seems you using digital zoom.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:42 PM   #8

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
To make pictures bigger, put link to the bigger picture from your smugmug site. If you look at the properties of you first shot, you have used link like:

http://zoomit.smugmug.com/photos/6377284-S.jpg

which is a small file (-S). When you use Large file, it will show as -L and Original is -O. Just open the file size which you want to post, right click on it, cut&paste the link.
Really good of you to notice that bobbyz. I didn't even think of looking at the url he posted his pictures from. So smugmug automatically maintains small, large, and original sizes of the image - good thing to remember...

I typically post links to pictures from my own site so it is all up to me to upload the sizes I want viewed.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 1:21 PM   #9

Thanks bobbyz. Appreciate the info!

Now I know how that works, I will have to fool around with it a little and see how to option to the larger size picture.