Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 25, 2004, 7:25 PM   #11

eric 2.

Amazing shots! Love the color on that bird and you really brought out the detail.

The second shot with the frog is classic!
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 12:47 AM   #12

Great shot, that Frog-shot. You captured it in just the right moment. I like it very much, although that frog is history now
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 3:18 AM   #13

Excellent shots. That second one reminds me ofa motivational cartoon I saw. It was of a frog going head first down the throat of a bird, but the frog had its hands wrapped around the birds neck preventing it from swallowing. I think the caption was 'Never give up!' :-)
photo_mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 6:55 AM   #14

zoomn wrote:
Quote:
eric 2.

Amazing shots! Love the color on that bird and you really brought out the detail.

The second shot with the frog is classic!
a classic ....

ha yes, it's for this reason that i never try to got a picture like this (sooooo classic ...)

héhé :-)

great shots

chris doudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 8:44 AM   #15

Both shots are just great. The first image is the better shot, but it is really nice to see the capture of the frog in #2. You can be proud of these...

Darrell
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 9:11 AM   #16

wow....very nice eric! gorgeous bird!

the frog adds a lot to the second one, but the first one's expression is just fabulous....great job!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 11:24 AM   #17

Wow... great shots, the first is amazing the composition, the bird pose and details too. The second is also very nice (the frog helps a lot) but that leave in front distracts a little.

Regards
Fernando
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 11:51 AM   #18

Nice shots Eric.

I haven't had any luck with Green Herons. They are tough to spot in that grass and fly away ifI get close.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 1:30 PM   #19

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the kind words. I do find it interesting that people like the motion shot (bird moving) more than the post-action shot (bird with frog.) Now that it's been said, I do find the second one a little to static.

I was really lucky that he came (and then used what skill I have to get the picture.)

I've been thinking about this for awhile, maybe others would agree.
If you have many leaves, it looks like a "natural environment". Depending on placement it looks good.
If you have too few, it looks distracting.
If you have none it can either look too pristine or amazing (usually the later.)

That second shot is great because of the frog but there are either too many or too few leaves in front, depending on the affect you are looking for.

bobbyz,
I have to admit this was taken from a bird blind. Everything else is "natural". I have gotten this close to green herons purely in the wild before, but only once. (In fact, I was closer!)

I know some people who live in Berkley, if you'd be interested in tips for where to see Green Herons. They are birders, so they might know. Of course, it sounds like your trouble is not finding them but approaching them (which is not easy.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 9:09 AM   #20

Excellent shots. We get a lot of the immature birds with the drab coat, but they seem to get reclusive with age.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote