Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 26, 2004, 2:51 PM   #1

I was watering my potted plants last week, when I saw this little fellow hovering in front of me. Lucky I had my camera ready nearby. The first shot is approx from 15 feet away. I don't know the exact ID as I am posting this from work and my bird books are at home.

I tried to move closer to him and was able to only get 1 more shot before he decided to fly. Here is the second shot (reduced in size). There is a branch going through it but it is quite OOF.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:30 PM   #2

You sure made the most of a short opportunity, bobbyz - that first picture is very nice!

As for id, well... that's tough (at least for me). This looks to be a juvenile as you can see that it's just starting to get the appearance of green irridescent feathers on his back and wings. Let's see... from my field guide, I'd say it could be one of: Anna's, Allen's, Costa's, or Black-Chinned Hummingbirds. How's that for pinning it down? :-)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 8:11 PM   #3

Looks like a female Anna's to me. I see them frequently at my feeders. Could be a juvenile too, I reckon.

Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna)

Anna's is the most common hummingbird in southern California, and one of only two species that are permanent residents of the US or Canada (Allen's is the other). Unlike most other hummers, Anna's has a (minimal) song.

Physical Description
Average weight: male 4.31 g, female 4.07 g. The Anna's is the largest hummingbird seen on the west coast.

Plumage
Adult male: Metallic green back, dark rose-red crown and gorget, grayish breast.
Adult female: Green back, grayish-white breast, white throat with some red spots, white tips on outer tail feathers.
Juveniles: Young of both sexes look like the adult female, but may have unmarked throats.

ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote