Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 28, 2004, 3:05 AM   #1

The first was taken at full 420 optical with the 1.5 Lumix teleconverter. The last one was taken without the converter. All hand held on IS mode 2at ISO 50 and using full manual settings. No noise reduction software was applied.

Photos reduced in size for quick download

No converter (I managed to sneak up close enough to remove it. As you can see he is getting slightly nervous at about this time)

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2004, 8:23 AM   #2

Great shots Normcar! I don't think you have to spend any more money on camera gear if your getting those results.
I only have grey ones around here. I have to travel about forty minutes to find squirrels that color. Thanks.

Ray
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 8:51 AM   #3

Excellent shots.

Really shows the value of the Panasonic teleconverter.

Just to be clear if you don't mind for me. You were at full 12x optical on the teleconverter picture?
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:10 AM   #4

Very nice shots. I really like the first one. The background really highlights that critter well.

Darrell

Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:13 PM   #5

Thanks for the comments guys.

Quote:
I only have grey ones around here. I have to travel about forty minutes to find squirrels that color
I've never seen a grey squirrel around here, I'd be happy to trade cards for the fun of it.

Quote:
You were at full 12x optical on the teleconverter picture?
Yes, on the first 2, but the last one had no converter. The only thing that bothers me slightly about this converter is that to attach it you need to turn on threads rather than a quick bayonet coupling, which would be nice...or less threads, this thing needs about 10 turns to get it off an on and it's not the best for quick changes.
Quote:
The background really highlights that critter well.
One of the advantages of being forced to stop up to aperture 2.8 (to remain at ISO 50, which isone of my FZ10 rules for myself)is that you tend to get a nice blur if you can catch the focus. Because of the across the board 2.8 aperture even with the converter I find that I have some play on ISO, which is nice in the area of isolating subject.

Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:18 PM   #6

Nice squirrel pictures, Norm. I kind of like the second one best... the squirrel just looks so aware in that shot.

I don't think you'll see gray squirrels up where you are. EasyRay is probably seeing Gray Squirrels because he lives in Connecticut, but up where you are there are only Red Squirrels (smaller than Gray Squirrels) and Flying Squirrels (which would really be fun to see, especially gliding from tree to tree).
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:31 PM   #7

I'm heading off to the mountains this weekend so maybe I'll see on of those flyers. I'll keep my head up, thanks.
Quote:
I kind of like the second one best... the squirrel just looks so aware in that shot.
About half a second later he was gone so he was definitely aware of something. :-)