Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 28, 2004, 8:03 PM   #1
djb

I took these shots at 100+ meters with my 2602z & raynox dcr-2020 tele add-on. they're not great shots but i wanted you pros to id the heron. i think it's a young great blue but have never seen a youngin' before. so here's the shots.

dennis

djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:56 PM   #2

Well, I'm not one of the pro heron photogs here but I certainly got a huge piece of entertainment from your photos of this skinny little gem standing on what looks almost like a bird house. I wonder if he's saying to himself,

I seem to have grown a bit. Now how do I get in to cook breakfast?

Beautiful, and extremely rare situational capture. As for the ident, I'll leave that up to the heron experts.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:02 PM   #3

i'm not positive, but it could be a GreatBlue Heron...wouldn't be suprised if i'm wrong...but it looks like the bird i've seen in the pond near my house...

vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:36 PM   #4

Dennis, you're right that this is a Great Blue Heron and looks to have the markings of an adult to my eye. He does look funny standing up there on that small birdhouse!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 2:49 PM   #5
djb

Thanx all for the comments!!! Geoffs, the reason i asked about the id is that the markings seem so prominent and contrasty. i'll check my other photos but, i'm sure most of the great blues are pretty much all blue. the black cap does give it away as an id, i guess.

the bird house is larger than it seems as it is taken from 100+ meters. it almost looks like a bat house but it's in a marshy area and assume it's for those cute other little birds i can never get a picture of.

when i drove by the area i only heard this bird from far off. i thought it was flying above and got out of the truck to take a look and it took me a while to actually notice the heron. it surprised me to see it on the bird house. usually they're in the marsh hidden in the bushes. i guess it's time for a dSLR and a nice telephoto. but, no funds right now. i'm all for taking donations!!!!!:-):-):-)

dennis

Old Jul 29, 2004, 4:40 PM   #6

djb,
People are right, this is a Great Blue. I've taken many photos of them.

For what it's worth, that bird house is actually for Wood Ducks. I've seen them use them, in fact. Well, it should be said that the left entrace is for wood ducks. The right lump is a separate bird house tacked on to the back of the bigger one.

They have them in Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge in Concord, MA. Not that far from you, in a relative sense.

For example, this was taken there:

There is a heron which is all blue, it is the Little Blue Heron (they also have a white stage.) You might have seen one of them... they are in MA on occasion. I saw my first one about a month ago.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 4:53 PM   #7
djb

thanx, Eric S.. i figured it was a great blue but never seen one quite like that. or, just never noticed. oh, a wood bird house for a wood duck!!!!!that figures!!!:lol::lol::lol:

dennis