Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:10 PM   #1

I think these are better. I changed the color settings( moved it to warm, it was on normal) in my camera, set iso to 50, and changed white balance to sunlight (it was on auto.

Tonight there were 5 hawks on the sprinkler. It will only be there for about two weeks as they are cutting the alphalpha and then once they have it bailed and picked up they will start using the sprinkler again.

I wish I had read Normcars response before I worked with these because I did hit sharpen more then I tried to reduce the sharpening in Picture it 7. I will know better next time. I resisted the impulse to use digital zoom, these were shot at 12x optical with teleconverter.

I will need to study some on Bobbyz's and normcars advice about sizeing the photos. That is something I have never tried before and alot of the terminology is beyond me.

I think I improved the yellow color in Photoshop with auto fix it seemed to whiten a bit.

Anyway please let me know if these are better. They look much better to me.

These are of a brighter bird, I skipped over the dark brown splotchy one.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:36 PM   #2

100% better...excellent photos!

I still see too much yellow for my own personal tastes but that is "color" and color is purely incidental and subjective and locational. The colors that you are posting may well be the exact colors that you see. Only you know that zoomn.

Beyond that, wow, what a difference!

Nice job!

PS - here's a quick color idea that I put together. Understand, I am not saying this is better or more accurate, because that's something only the photographer who was there can say. I'd say that this bird of yours definitely has a yellow cast so you're version is probably more accurate than my attempt to change it. I say this because, no matter what I did with color, the yellow cast remained.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 12:05 AM   #3

Zoomn, I think you got really sharp pictures here. I'd say that staying away from the digital zoom really got you a better result.

I too played around with trying to eliminate the yellow cast. Only you know for sure, but it's possible that the yellow really was there in what you were viewing. What time of day?

Here's my attempt at eliminating the yellow:

Attached Images

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 7:47 AM   #4

Normcar,

Thanks for your remarks. Glad you think these are much better.

I like what you did with the colors. Yours seem to pop off the page better and like the blue color you got in the sky. The sky actually did not have much blue in it it was kind of a hazy day.

What did you do to achieve your result if you don't mind me asking?
Old Jul 29, 2004, 7:51 AM   #5

Geoffs,

Thanks for taking a look. Appreciate your comments.

Thanks for taking a shot at the color. I think your version which may be technically correct with the colors is a tad white for actual conditions that day. I believe there was a yellow tint to the light as the sun was very low on the horizon.

It is fun to see you guys tinker with it and see the different looks the pictures take with a little messing around.

My favorite is the first one, but I really like the look in the eye on the second one.

I am very lucky to have a spot like this field o'hawks to catch these great birds in action.

Anybody want to take a shot at Id on this hawk. My guess is the Ferruginous but the head looks too light.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 8:37 AM   #6

What yellow color? That is the sun low in the sky! My favorite time of day to shoot! I love being able to shoot with the sunset at my back...

Nice captures. Blue sky would be nice! :-)

Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 11:35 AM   #7

I like these compared to the previous ones.

Just some info onthe settings that I use on my FZ1. I never had any luck with digital zoom, so it is off all the time. Some FZ10 folks that I know get better shots using digital zoom than enlarging in PS.

I keep, WB on auto all the time for out door shots. FZ1 does very good job with auto WB. I only change it when shooting inside which is rare.

I keep all other params, like color, sharpness etc at default levels. Almost 99% of my shots with FZ1 are at ISO50.

One thing I change in PS Elements is levels (I do use auto levels sometimes). SOmetimes, I don't even do that.

Hope it helps.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 9:33 PM   #8

Quote:
I like what you did with the colors. Yours seem to pop off the page better and like the blue color you got in the sky. The sky actually did not have much blue in it it was kind of a hazy day.
I thought that might be the case. Considering that, I'd suggest that geoff's rendition is probably closer to the real color then. As for what I actually did...hmm, I can't remember. I just played with everything in the color menu until I got something that looked acceptable. However, one of my directions was to have some slight blue in the sky. That would mean that my rendition is probably off. The feathers on geoff's look more real to me.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:30 PM   #9

Looking at these photos again, I really notice the darkening towards the edges. Zoomn, is there vignetting present as a result of any converter you were using?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote