Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 24, 2002, 6:41 AM   #1

Default Nuthatch

Photo taken using a Nikon Coolpix 4500 through a Leica APO Televid 77 with 32WW eyepiece.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2002, 10:28 AM   #2

Fine shot. You could however add some sharpness to the bird!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 11:15 AM   #3

Klaus, Thanks for the comment. What would you recommend ? I've tried applying unsharp mask in Photoshop before but the results can look a bit wooden. I've also reduced the overall image quality to get it down to 250K - is that a problem ?

[Edited on 9-24-2002 by checklg]

[Edited on 9-24-2002 by checklg]
Old Sep 24, 2002, 12:51 PM   #4

Yes I know most of the photos here must be reduced in quality.
Personally I would recommend a resizing instead. This will "preserve" most of the imagequality. But it all comes down to how you want your photos represented, the speed of your connection and how long you will wait for the upload. But for your size of image I would say 250K is just fine... I often use 640x480 or smaller with 70% Jpeg.

I find Photoshops Unsharp mask excellent for imagesharping, but you know...if the photo is unsharp its very difficult to get to look real sharp. Of course you can use some cloning of the sharp areas to the unsharp and so, but this takes time.

For your photo I would use unsharp mask (as you did) AND the manual sharpen Tool (the pyramid in the toolbox) to make chosen areas on the bird being more visible. (I almost always use this tool, because then I have control).

I like the way you did - your photos seems rich and "thick" and you should be able do work a little with it - the original of course.

By the way - how did you do: "Nikon Coolpix 4500 through a Leica APO Televid 77 with 32WW eyepiece." please tell me, I'm courious!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2002, 6:52 AM   #5

Klaus, thanks for your detailed reply. I'll have a look at that this weekend and maybe re-post this image (depending on results).

In answer to your question about connecting the camera and the telescope, I use the Eagleeye Optics Digimount L1 adapter (www.eagleeyeuk.com if I remember correctly). It has a screw thread that connects to the lens ring thread of the Coolpix and a tube connection that pushes over and then fastens to the eyepiece. There's some more details on their web site. Depending on the eyepiece - camera combination you can get some vignetting, but the 4500 - 32WW combination is ok.
Old Sep 28, 2002, 6:32 AM   #6

Updated version -

[Edited on 10-9-2002 by checklg]