Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 30, 2004, 3:23 AM   #1

Shot these last weekend at Sapal Natural Reserve in Castro Marin, Portugal.

Comments apreciated

Regards
Fernando
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2004, 5:28 AM   #2

Nice shots Fernando, 3 and 4 are my favorites. 3 for the reflection and its head position/pose and 4 for the same reasons and because the one in front looks like it is ice skating. I think they might be better with a bit more contrast and level work. Keep up the great work.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 6:44 AM   #3

nice shots although I was a little bit worried about the shot of the young bird in the first shot, I thought the rocks in the water were a crocodile at first glance:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 8:20 AM   #4

Nice shots. So that is what the babies look like.

I see these all the time at a pond I frequent. I also like three and four the best.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 9:12 AM   #5

Very nice shots, Fernando! The others like the older bird shots better but I like #1 the best because of the cuteness factor :-)

Zoomn, I don't think you see these guys where you are, but instead a closely named relative. You're seeing black-necked stilts and these are what Fernando calls black-winged stilts. Looking at photos of both of them online, they are indeed somewhat similar looking...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 9:34 AM   #6

Thank you all for the comments.

To GoCubs, I'll remember your comment next time and try to work the levels out a little more allthough I'm not sure what you think it's wrong, is it too dark, or only too low on contrast?

To Aladyforty, I'm sorry to disapoint you but there no crocodiles in Portugal :-) not in the wilds at least.

To Geoffs, you're right this are indeed very close to the Black necked stilts, I think the only diference is that the necks on these guys aren't black. And I also like the first better, it's a very cute fellow and cooperative too he didn't move an inch for at least 30 seconds.

Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:26 AM   #7

Very nice shots Fernando. I like the reflections. The ones over here (california) have black feathers. Like the way the background came in last 3 shots. Any info on the lens used?
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:31 AM   #8

bobbyz, I'm not sure that these are all adults or adults in breeding plumage. I went online to find pictures of black-winged stilts and a good number of the pictures showed birds that were as black on the back and wings as black-necked stilts.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 11:39 AM   #9

Bobbyz, the stilts over here also have black wings but these are all juvenils, and their wings are not all black yet.

The lens used was a crystalvue LX (a small scope) on top of a Fuji S7000, and shot Raw.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 11:53 AM   #10

Geoffs,

I see what you are saying. Here is a photo of the stilts I have been seeing they are definitely different.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote