Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 30, 2004, 9:00 PM   #1

I'm on the road and found my first Kingfisher. Neat sounding bird. Hopefully I'll get loads more new birds before I'm finished. P.S. - I know, not the best photos but the bird was a long way off and I'm just happy to have enjoyed one for a moment.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:40 PM   #2

Well, I like these shots of that kingfisher Norm! Did you take these with your FZ10 and converter?

This bird looks to me like it is a juvenile because the band across its chest would be the same color as the feathers on its back and crown if it were an adult. This bird's chest band feathers are mostly brown just starting to change to slate grey.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 1:00 AM   #3

Yep, FZ10 and converter, but I over-processed them to try to glean more out of them.

Thanks for the info, I saw 2 of them so if they are immature that means more are around as well, I would surmise. Hopefully I'll get another shot at them sometime down the line.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 12:13 PM   #4

nice shots, he looks like our kookaburras, but do they laugh as well???

heres a kookaburra, Ive never got a photo of one yet, they live here in the west as well as all over Australia and have a habit of laughing load at inappropriate times
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 2:03 PM   #5

Julie, I think that kingfishers and kookaburras are related. I believe that I would call a kingfisher's sound somewhat like laughing. Here's what they sound like:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/program...Kingfisher.ram
Old Aug 1, 2004, 6:52 AM   #6

They dont laugh like a kookaburra, scross to the bottom of this page, compare the kookaburra laugh to the kingfisher.

http://ausinternet.com/ettamogah/kookaburrasong.htm
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 8:56 AM   #7

You're right, Julie - there is only a slight resemblance between their songs (mostly just rhythm). I recognized the kookaburra's song almost immediately after I clicked on the link you gave. It is the sound we often hear in the jungle movies (Tarzan, etc).
Old Aug 1, 2004, 1:16 PM   #8

Normcar those are very nice! I want your setup!!I am hoping the fz10 prices will go down once the newer models start selling. That teleconverter is getting you some amazing shots, of course you need to know how to use it as well as you do.

How far away were you for those shots? I posted some Kinfisher shotson another thread from about 70 yards just a minute ago. Abviously no technical merit to them but what a cool looking bird so I posted them.

Now I know why that one picture of mine I just posted appears to have a white dot on the side of its head. Look like a little white heart on their face.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 1:08 PM   #9

Nice shot of the king fisher.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:32 PM   #10

Normcar escribió:
Quote:

Hey!!! I really like that one. It´s so cute with its little shorty legs. And looks like a love bird (do you see the hearth next to its eye?)
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote