Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 13, 2004, 2:18 AM   #11

Ok, I have an Olympus C750, and I know that shots like this are probably out of my league, but thats exactly what I would love to do. Any suggestions?! Great shots.
tjk3052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:07 AM   #12

tjk3052 wrote:
Quote:
Ok, I have an Olympus C750, and I know that shots like this are probably out of my league, but thats exactly what I would love to do. Any suggestions?! Great shots.
I started with FZ1 which is a 2MP, 12x zoom camera. I didn't have much luck with flight shots but I know some local people who are using the 4MP FZ10 model with great success.

My only advice would be to practice & practice. In the evening if I have some time, I will drive to this preserve and try to take birds in flight shots. One thing I notice is that I get better pictures using high enough shutter speeds. Now I am aiming for 1/1000sec. or higher. Higher ISO on dSLR helps a lot in this case.

Another is how to pan correctly which I still can't do all the time. I also try to shoot these birds with sun on my behind. Remember shooting digital is almost free, just needs time from you so go and shoot.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 1:42 AM   #13

Exactly my problem about the high ISO, light is killing me because I need a fast shutter and my cam can't successfully go above even ISO200 most times, is that a deal breaker for pics like what you've done? My cam can zoom to a 35mm equivalent of 380mm.

I am curious, you said you pan your inflight shots. Do you use a tri/mono-pod? Do you have a stabilized lens? How much are you using telephoto versus cropping in the pics you posted?
tjk3052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 1:29 PM   #14

Well my 100-400 is a stabilized lens but I am not using the IS for flight shots. IS mode 2 of my lens does help in panning but for bird flight shots,I am not panning horizontally so what I have seen is that I get better picture using a higher shutter speed.

All these shots are hand held. The reason to go with 100-400 was that I wouldn't need to carry the tripod.

All shots are at 400mm. I just take 100% crop (to get better framing).
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote