Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 7, 2004, 7:44 PM   #11

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
great shots, now I want a macro lens for my DSLR:!:

LOL, well what's interesting about Macro is, if you don't feel like doing landscape or bird shots, you can always do only Macro, there's so many things to be seen at insects level, its unbelievable

Cheers !
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 11:15 PM   #12

Eric CAN wrote:
Quote:
To get 1:1 ratio for this lens, its 9 inch if I'm not mistaking. For larger insect, to get the body entirely on the frame, I need to back off a little, but we're talking of inch or even fraction of an inch.
9 inches is a pretty good working distance - loads better than 2-4 inches. At that distance you can be assured of not scaring away most insects and that at least gives you a fighting chance to set up and take your picture before they do leave. Of course, for spiders on their web you don't have to worry about them moving very far off.

With the shallow DOF that I have on my camera in supermacro mode, it is very hard to handhold and take macro shots because any swaying of my body causes the wrong "slice" of the image to be in focus.

Anyway, great work Eric and I can't wait to see what you come up with in the future.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 9:08 AM   #13
NHL

Eric

Can your lens stops down to f/45? The new one does... (for incredible DOF that's what they call it), and can the focusing barrel be held while the AF is active?

It looks like the old version is out of stock in the States anyway...

Thank
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 1:33 PM   #14

Very nice shots. You may want to look into focusing rails for your tripod.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 7:48 PM   #15

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Eric

Can your lens stops down to f/45? The new one does... (for incredible DOF that's what they call it), and can the focusing barrel be held while the AF is active?

It looks like the old version is out of stock in the States anyway...

Thank

Yes NHL, it's the same lens (F/45) and yes I have this barrell thingie which is very handy indeed. I try not to exceed F/22, beyond that I think we'll see barrell distortion taking place. Although I have never tried. If you go too small aperture then you will see unwanted things in the background, its a question of compromise

Cheers
Old Aug 9, 2004, 2:54 AM   #16

I'm confused I looked up the 105 and it said it was f 2.8 (not DG). Am I looking at a different lens? Sigma 105 Ex Macro. Apparently very popular as all are back ordered at 17st Photo.

Suzan

I've been looking at the Nikon D70 and looking for a macro lens that isn't over-the-moon expensive.
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 5:02 AM   #17

Awesome work all of them, but the grasshoper is really, really amazing.
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 11:33 AM   #18

Eric CAN wrote:
Quote:

Yes NHL, it's the same lens (F/45) and yes I have this barrell thingie which is very handy indeed. I try not to exceed F/22, beyond that I think we'll see barrell distortion taking place. Although I have never tried. If you go too small aperture then you will see unwanted things in the background, its a question of compromise

Cheers
Why you says :I TRY NOT TO EXCEED F22

On the sigma site its says minimum F45, are we talking about the same lens?????

Macro 105mm F2.8 EX DG

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/Fixed.htm

Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 12:57 PM   #19

ImKayd1 wrote:
Quote:
I'm confused I looked up the 105 and it said it was f 2.8 (not DG). Am I looking at a different lens? Sigma 105 Ex Macro. Apparently very popular as all are back ordered at 17st Photo.

Suzan

I've been looking at the Nikon D70 and looking for a macro lens that isn't over-the-moon expensive.

Suzan, we were talking about the minimum aperture size the lens provides. That Sigma lens is exactly what you see on the website, with a max of 2.8. But for Macro, if you want most or all of the insect to be in acceptable focus (DOF), you need to stop down the lens (smaller aperture). For desirable effect a minimum of F/11 is needed, F/16 is better and I tend to play between F/11 and F/22.

Hope this helps a bit

Cheers
Old Aug 9, 2004, 1:02 PM   #20

Pierre wrote:
Quote:
Eric CAN wrote:
Quote:

Cheers
Why you says :I TRY NOT TO EXCEED F22

On the sigma site its says minimum F45, are we talking about the same lens?????

Macro 105mm F2.8 EX DG

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/Fixed.htm

Yes Pierre, the same lens, but mine is not a DG, the DG is the newest model which is not out yet in Canada, the difference are very small between the DG and non DG model. They've added another group of lens to optimize things for digital photography. But from what I've taken and seen from others, the EX 105 has no known defects. It's probably a trick by Sigma to raise the price of the lens.

I said, not going beyond F/22 since beyond this , things like barrell distortion will start to show up on the image. Also, at F/22 you'll need to rely even more on the flash and this will show in the image. It already shows at the settings I've used (like glare on shinny surface of insects) Which is reduced by using a 'screen' in front of the flash - Lumiquest Softbox.

Cheers