Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 6, 2004, 11:20 PM   #1

Dont know if I should post this here or under Close-ups sub forum. But since I like the crowd here, here's few shots I've been hiding from you. :lol:

Acquired a new lens, its a Sigma 105 Macro, wonderfull lens that is and started to do Macro since last Friday, here's few shots I've taken since :

I'm not familiar with insects name, so be easy on me :homey:

And to conclude, some spider shots - Creepy, uhh ?

And a Garden Spider, both side :

So this is it my friend. I used for all these a Canon 420 Speedlight flash with a light diffuser in front of the flash, its a Lumiquest SoftBox.

This Macro photography is very challenging too, still learning

Cheers everyone !

Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2004, 11:36 PM   #2

Oh my gosh, Eric! You just get into macro photography and you are taking photos like these ones you've posted!!!! Wow!!! You and the dslr and the Sigma 105 macro lens are a great combination

These pictures are really, really sharp and the DOF on most is really good. I need to ask how far from the subjects you were for these shots? I ask because with my much less sophisticated setup I must be as close as 2-4 inches away to get the same level of detail. As you probably found out, it is very difficult with these little guys to get that close without scaring them off without enough time to get the shot.

Were you using a tripod?

BTW, a great place to go to for insect identification is the Bug Guide website. I think the next to last picture is called a Black and Yellow Argiope.

Wow, wow, wow, Eric....
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 9:51 AM   #3

great shots, now I want a macro lens for my DSLR:!:
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 11:36 AM   #4
djb

really nice shots!!!!!! i not only want a macro lense but, alos the dslr to go with it!!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 1:24 PM   #5

Eric,

Just fantastic. What a great new world has opened up in macro. Amazing the colors and detail.

My favorite is the first spider shot with the web. Great composition.

My daughter says, they are so clear!! How does he do it!! She is a fan of the dragonfly shots.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 4:13 PM   #6
NHL

Eric

Is this the new "revised" Sigma 105 EX DG Macro or the old EX?
I notice there's a $100 difference between the two...

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 7:37 PM   #7

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
Oh my gosh, Eric! You just get into macro photography and you are taking photos like these ones you've posted!!!! Wow!!! You and the dslr and the Sigma 105 macro lens are a great combination

These pictures are really, really sharp and the DOF on most is really good. I need to ask how far from the subjects you were for these shots? I ask because with my much less sophisticated setup I must be as close as 2-4 inches away to get the same level of detail. As you probably found out, it is very difficult with these little guys to get that close without scaring them off without enough time to get the shot.

Were you using a tripod?

BTW, a great place to go to for insect identification is the Bug Guide website. I think the next to last picture is called a Black and Yellow Argiope.

Wow, wow, wow, Eric....

Thanks for the link Geoff

Yes DOF is an issue with bigger CMOS, compared to yours. You probably don't need to go that low aperture to get decent DOF. I'm using a tripod on certain shots, like the garden spider, he was too busy to get something flying by to go away. So I had all the time to set this properly. To get 1:1 ratio for this lens, its 9 inch if I'm not mistaking. For larger insect, to get the body entirely on the frame, I need to back off a little, but we're talking of inch or even fraction of an inch.

Thanks again for the encouragement Geoff, appreciate it

Cheers
Old Aug 7, 2004, 7:38 PM   #8

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Eric

Is this the new "revised" Sigma 105 EX DG Macro or the old EX?
I notice there's a $100 difference between the two...

Hi NHL, no its the previous version. The DG was not out yet in stores. I saw some galleries with that lens and I was hooked. I'm not sure what will be the real advantage of the DG one. All I know is theres 1 more glass in there.

Cheers
Old Aug 7, 2004, 7:41 PM   #9

zoomn wrote:
Quote:
Eric,

Just fantastic. What a great new world has opened up in macro. Amazing the colors and detail.

My favorite is the first spider shot with the web. Great composition.

My daughter says, they are so clear!! How does he do it!! She is a fan of the dragonfly shots.

Hehe thanks Zoomn, sure is a new world. It's not something I was looking for when I bought this DRebel, but I saw some fabulous galleries from some friends over another board and decided to give it a go

They are really detailed shot, this lens is quite something. Very sharp, but focus is somewhat difficult. I mean you slightly sway in front or the back and you have to do it all again. I'm just starting to get a better understanding of the flash now.

Thanks for the kind words, cheers !
Old Aug 7, 2004, 7:42 PM   #10

djb wrote:
Quote:
really nice shots!!!!!! i not only want a macro lense but, alos the dslr to go with it!!!!

dennis

Lol Dennis, lets say the day you'll put your hands on a DSLR, you wont look back

Thanks for the positive comments, cheers !