Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 11, 2004, 6:23 PM   #1

I KNOW this is a lousy photo, but it's probably the only one I'll ever get.
We were hiking on White Oak Mountain when I saw this guy. I moved closer and streched to get the CAMERA as close I could, but my wife was VERY unhappy about it. I pressed the shutter release and my wife started tugging me before the photo was taken.
It's a timber rattler, but very dark for the species.

Ron

surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2004, 7:38 PM   #2

Well, that timber rattler would have rattled me too so I don't think you can be blamed for a little camera shake :lol:

You definitely get points for getting that close...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 8:26 AM   #3

sorry but I did burst out laughing, not at the photo but just of the image of your wife freaking out and rightly so:lol:
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 8:34 AM   #4

I think your wife had some sense here. You have no idea how fast that snake could move and it could have nailed you easily. My daughter spent six days in intensive care after being bitten by a rattler in Yosemite. She has two 12" scars on her leg from the fasciaotomy they had to do to relieve the swelling that the venom caused. The bill for the antivenom alone was $48K. Read a bit about it, http://www.dmtimes.net/blog/Outdoor/...15/105746.html
SoOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 5:40 PM   #5

SoOregon, I DO have some idea how fast they are. It has one of the quickest strikes in "snakedom". But it will not chase you, you have to get close enough for it to reach you, and I did not do that. I wanted to try another shot, but it was very agitated after the first attempt, so I left it alone.
Maybe I WAS foolish but I really did not get within 6'. If it had moved at all, even just shifted, I would have been out of there.

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 7:13 PM   #6

In the case of my daughter she was just walking along a path barefoot, she just had visited a waterfall, and it got her twice in the foot. The younger they are the more poisonous they are. Some people don't react that much to the venom, others get a "dry strike". In her case, her body reacted violently to it. The hospital in Modesto where she went had already lost some people that year to rattler bites. People do dumb stuff, they get drunk, they try to kiss the snake ... The closer the bite is to your brain the more serious the consequences. The snake kisser didn't last long.
SoOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 9:59 AM   #7

That shot is so blurry you could pass it up as the Sasquatch!!

:-):-):-)

I know how it is taking shots of snakes... frightening stuff too!
enduro91 is offline   Reply With Quote