Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 17, 2004, 5:16 PM   #1

I've noticed that these sort of pictures have started to show up here rather than the close up forum. Do you mind if I join in?

Taken with a reversed lens ((you all know my set-up by now ). Each image is 520 wide (as with all images I post) but if you click them you'll get taken to a bigger version. They're hosted at fotopic so their compression has made the size smaller, but hit the quality a little (bigger than I thought it would ). Resizing these to a smaller size didn't help either.

Furry.

I like the eyes and the feet.

Ack! Fly tongue!!!

A face only a mother could love.

Showing a bit of the wings.

Those teeth look lethal.

I have spent a long time on these. Getting them to how I want them. Removing rogue pixels, noise etc. There is still some noise there. I couldn't get rid of it all and I got lazy towards the end. Please let me know if it was worth it. Here is a photo straight from the camera to give you some idea of what I have done. It's the fly tongue one.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2004, 6:05 PM   #2
djb

ferny, excellent shots!!! i like the eyes of the 2nd pic and the also the last pic. too bad the tongue picture didn't have more depth to it. you do excellent work with the reversed lense!!! for some reason i haven't been able to do as well using a reversed lense. i am not that steady and i sway too much to get a good focus and also most of my subjects won't let me get that close. as for editing your pics, i think it's worth it. most pics need a bit of sharpening, contrast, color, etc., as well as noise reduction. keep up the good work!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 3:56 AM   #3

Thanks Dennis. I found this guy on the floor by the computer. He was a little bit lethargic so I thought I'd scoop him up with a piece of paper and try and get some pictures. He didn't move around too much when I took them.
I always use a tripod when taking the shots and always use the self timer to. That way there is nothing touching the camera to introduce camera shake. My camera doesn't seem to have a problem focusing. My film SLR won't focus at all with a reversed lens though. I've no idea why.

Yeah dof is a problem. I'll measure it in a minute because I'm curious. As I've said many times before (:lol I'll get a better camera soon. So dof should improve as should the pictures straight from the camera.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 9:16 AM   #4

I like the first one because of the color contrasts and the last one because of the eye detail.

Thanks for sharing these shots. Interesting how you produced them.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 1:06 AM   #5

Wow, excellent work with the equipment that you have. You have proven that equipment means little if talent exists.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 8:57 AM   #6

Thanks zoomn and Normcar. I don't know about the talent part, but thanks for the kind words.