Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:31 AM   #21

Thanks for the complements.

I did have fun (even if I did miss the bitterns.) And I did it with my dad as well. Nice to get out and spend some time with him.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:07 AM   #22

Nice shot of the osprey in flight.

How far were you in those green heron shots in your gallery? I know you mention about heat but I thought 600mm kind of lenses should be able to handle it.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:12 AM   #23

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
I would love to have the long lens for the Israel trip as I will be going to a few wildlife refuges up in the Golan Heights area. But, I'm just not going to worry about lugging around a Bigma or a tripod with me - it's just too much. I might convince myself to bring along a monopod but that's it.

My plans are to save up for the long lens (Canon 100-400L IS or Bigma) so that I have it available in time for the next spring birding season. Life is going to be fun in this coming year - yeah!
Way to go jeff and I don't buy that soft lens thing. I bought mine for $1300. Bigma goes for more than $900 now. You will need $500 tripod/head for bigma so it all comes out to be same. If you don't zoom, look at 400mm f5.6. It is close to $1100. People seem to use 300 f4 with 1.4x which isanother cheaper option.

Sorry for hijacking Eric's thread.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:25 AM   #24

Where do you live? I live on the Potomac River (which flows into the Cheasapeake Bay.) I have lots of those birds nesting all over the place. You could easily get some GREAT shots of some chicks in a nest by taking a boat up to one of the many nests, which are on the navigational markers though out the Bay. You would need a boat thats tall enough that you could get an over head view of the nest. A sail boat would work great. You could have a friend hoist you up the mast. I should try that some day, seeing how I have everything I need to do it. If I do I will be sure to post the photos here on this forum. GREAT photo by the way. I have never really tried to photograph osprey before, I'm sure it was quite hard to get the shot you got.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:14 PM   #25

bobbyz, actually the 600mm makes it worse. Well, it's actually that the further you are the worse it is. You see, because the subject is further away I'm taking the picture through more air. That means more moisture and more heat to effect the light between me and my subject. I was probably about... 60-70 feet from the bird? I was looking out over water in a drained pond. So there were nothing really to gauge the distance with.

And I agree with you, if you aren't going to zoom, the 400 f5.6 is a better deal and optically better. But you loose IS. And IS is great.. I've also heard the suggestion of the 300 f4 + 1.4TC. About the same price but optically better. I actually do use the 100-400's zoom ability but if geoffs didn't its another good thing to consider.

johncudd, I'm up near Boston Ma (as my description by my name says.)

I actually do do photography from a boat, but it isn't easy. Actually, I do it from the ocean so I get waves from the wind, from the tide, and the wind effecting the boat and camera lens can catch the wind. You often need a really, really high shutter speed to get a good picture from a boat. On the other hand, some of my best shots are from a Boston whaler.

I know some good places to get roosting black crowned night herons, green herons and great blues by boat. But I often go shoot just for the fun of it. Breaking out the kayaks isn't easy and its risky. My best lens costs more than my car and the risk of dropping it into water scares me.

Eric

ps. Once I came to look at the comments on my picture and my heart soared! Look at that, 12 comments this quickly! And then it was about geoffs' camera and lens purchase. Just kidding. I wasn't really hurt. But it did surprise me.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:27 PM   #26

eric s wrote:
Quote:
ps. Once I came to look at the comments on my picture and my heart soared! Look at that, 12 comments this quickly! And then it was about geoffs' camera and lens purchase. Just kidding. I wasn't really hurt. But it did surprise me.
Yeah, I gotta learn my lesson and not hijack your threads, Eric! I'm really sorry about that. There must be some way I can blame it on Norm, hehe...

I'll make a deal with you - once I get my 20D and start posting some decent shots taken with it, you can hijack my threads. Ok? :blah:

And let me just add that I always love to see your bird pictures posted here - they are just so superb!!!!

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:00 PM   #27

Quote:
My best lens costs more than my car and the risk of dropping it into water scares me.
Same now with me and the camera, eric. I've struggled with the question too. However, I resolved it by saying to myself, why the heck did I buy this thing, to create fear or opportunity?

That has solved the question for now...however, I do plan to get insurance
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 7:52 AM   #28

Definitely get the insurance. What I do is bring the 100-400 on the boat. It's cheap enough that I won't cry if I had to buy another one (and I might consider the 300 f4 to use with my 1.4TC) And it's small and light so it doesn't get in my way. Oh, and lets not forget that if the kayak flipped I should be worrying about saving myself and not grabbing for the $7K lens!

I don't actually mind that the thread was hijacked. It was just a real surprise that so many would have seen the picture in the hour or so it had been posted.

Eric
Old Aug 27, 2004, 9:10 AM   #29

eric s wrote:
Quote:
I don't actually mind that the thread was hijacked. It was just a real surprise that so many would have seen the picture in the hour or so it had been posted.
People love to rubberneck, Eric. I'm sure you've noticed that on the roads when there's been an accident.

Well, for forum threads, if people see that here have been 10 replies and 50 views they think that means it must be worth checking out that thread. Then the view count and replies just keeps going up. Maybe the initial excitement was generated by a hijacking, maybe not, but it makes no difference - people are just attracted to a crowd. It'sa real plus when all that interest was generated by a great picture as was the case here in your thread!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote