Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:41 PM   #1

I was actually out trying to photograph baby least bitterns. I didn't get to see them, but I was buzzed by an osprey. I didn't have time to change settings, so I'm pleasantly surprised how well the white portions came out. Almost perfect.

I was also lucky enough to watch an immature Green Heron eat a frog that was larger than its mouth in every way. Rather funny to watch, but after about 15 minutes it did get it down. How he made the opening into his throat big enough I'll never know

This gallery has more osprey shots (& a bigger version of this osprey), and the rest of the good ones from my trip out:
http://www.marx7.org/~esmith/galleri..._Meadows_NWR1/

Camera: 10D 600mm + 1.4TC, 1/1500 f5.6 ISO 100
PhotoShop: RAW convert, curves, sharpening, crop & reduce.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:47 PM   #2

What an absolutely spectacular photograph, and the blue sky behind just accentuates the magnificence. Wow!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:51 PM   #3

Yeah, you got a really nice shot out of a circumstance where most people probably wouldn't even have had time to get their camera's ready to shoot. Just think what you might have gotten with a 20D and its .2 second turn-on time :-) How close did that osprey get to you?

I also went up to your gallery and looked at the rest of your photos. The green heron sequence is pretty good but I see that the heat that day affected your ability to get clear shots (I know this from your post + description up on NPN - hehe). The Great Egret looks pretty good in front of that bush with the flowers (picture #5).
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:55 PM   #4

If I had a bit of extra cash I'd definitely look into the 20D. I has 3/4ths of what the Mark II has, at half the cost. Embarassing to me, since I've already purchased the Mark II. Oh well, that's the cam world :-)
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:57 PM   #5

beautiful shot! sharp, great exposure

and....not to mention IT'S IN FLIGHT!!!

great job

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:07 PM   #6

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
If I had a bit of extra cash I'd definitely look into the 20D. I has 3/4ths of what the Mark II has, at half the cost. Embarassing to me, since I've already purchased the Mark II. Oh well, that's the cam world :-)
Norm, I just put down a deposit at my local camera shop for the 20D with the 17-85mm IS lens. I really hope that I receive it in time for my trip to Israel. I chose the 17-85 lens because it's light and provides the common focal lengths I'll need for my trip. Wildlife won't be a good possibility with it but I don't intend to lug around multiple lenses on that trip (besides Michael Reichmann at Luminous Landscape gave a big thumbs up on that lens).
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:18 PM   #7

Glad you all like the shot.

Hey, I'll give you 3 thousand for that 1DMkII, that would give you enough to purchase the 20D with some left over! (Humm, maybe not. I'll loose the warrenty 'cause it's Canadian... you're up there, right?)

Actually the camera was on, I had just gone back to the site where that egret was. I turned to look out across the other body of water and saw it flying around. So I ID'd it though the camera and tracked it coming towards me. But I never could stop to adjust the exposure comp to get the white correctly. I would have liked to drop the comp 1/2 a stop (of course, I probably would have increased it because I normally use spot metering and that would have turned the white of the osprey grey... so maybe its better that I didn't "correct" it! But I didn't have spot on that day.)

Once I got focus lock I didn't want to risk changing a setting and loose it in the viewfinder (and loosing lock.) Unlike Norm's 1DMkII, the 10D's focus tracking isn't great.

It finally got about... 20-30'ish feet over head. So close I couldn't pan fast enough on my tripod/wimberley to keep it in view. Pity, as then it would really have filled the frame.

The blue sky is lovely. I spent 12 of 14 days in fog on vacation in Maine and the first day back I get lovely blue sky. Wouldn't you know it.

The heat and moisture in the air was something nasty. I'd never really had problems like that before. Innitially I thought some was bad technique, but I found it in every long distance shot. Sure, I blow them every now and then, but not every shot! Then I figured it out.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:20 PM   #8

Geoff, you have the nearby lenses covered, if you are purchasing that camera then go all the way and buy the 50-500 Sigma and a good strong tripod. Then show us all of the wonders of Eretz Yisrael. If you don't get that lens you may miss something. I'm not going to be happy if Ezekiel's tomb is out of focus.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:25 PM   #9

I would love to have the long lens for the Israel trip as I will be going to a few wildlife refuges up in the Golan Heights area. But, I'm just not going to worry about lugging around a Bigma or a tripod with me - it's just too much. I might convince myself to bring along a monopod but that's it.

My plans are to save up for the long lens (Canon 100-400L IS or Bigma) so that I have it available in time for the next spring birding season. Life is going to be fun in this coming year - yeah!
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:36 PM   #10

If you don't buy it, you will miss it

Ze Hacol

this is all in fun, of course...somewhat

I've heard that that lens is soft too. (the 100-400)..alot of money to spend on a soft lens