Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:36 PM   #11

Ok, ok, this is actually getting to be fun now - the experts in bird id are arguing among themselves!!!! :P

Eric, I think this really is what tsiya said it was - a Great Egret in breeding form. The Snowy Egret, even in juvenile form, would have a bill which was dark. The Great Egret has a mostly yellow-orange bill that is dark at the tip. In addition, tsiya was correct that in breeding season the lores of the Great Egret are lime green as we see here (it's breeding season in Brazil).
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:39 PM   #12

Eric, all due reapect, You are just flat out wrong on this call.l A Snowy has a dark, blue/black beak, and is less than half this size. I don't go looking for argument, but best You do some more research. Give Me a few, I will show You all the Snowies You ever dreamed of!

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v244/tsiya/
tsiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:50 PM   #13

tsiya wrote:
Quote:
Eric, all due reapect, You are just flat out wrong on this call.l A Snowy has a dark, blue/black beak, and is less than half this size. I don't go looking for argument, but best You do some more research. Give Me a few, I will show You all the Snowies You ever dreamed of!

This, My Friend, is a Snowy, I had to run to file, and cut one down to fit. No EXIF, this is from before I even knew what EXIF is.
Attached Images

Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:44 PM   #14

tsiya, I've seen your online photo album and respect your abilities in photography and in naturalism. However, there's no need to dump on Eric as he just made an honest mistake was all.

Eric is one of the best bird photographers I've seen and surely the best or near one of the best up here on Steve's forums. He's a pretty darn good birder too. He makes mistakes.

I got my degree in Wildlife Biology from the University of Montana and would have gone into ornithology if it weren't for the fact I had to actually earn a living and support a family. So, I consider myself pretty good at birds also. But, I make mistakes too.

Dare I say that you'll make your own mistakes in id before too long if you stick with it on these forums? You're new here so you can't be expected to know the backgrounds of the regulars here. No problem. I hope you do stick around because I think you have a lot to offer the rest of us. I think that you'll also receive as much as you give.

'nuff said, ok?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:55 PM   #15

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
tsiya, I've seen your online photo album and respect your abilities in photography and in naturalism. However, there's no need to dump on Eric as he just made an honest mistake was all.

Eric is one of the best bird photographers I've seen and surely the best or near one of the best up here on Steve's forums. He's a pretty darn good birder too. He makes mistakes.

I got my degree in Wildlife Biology from the University of Montana and would have gone into ornithology if it weren't for the fact I had to actually earn a living and support a family. So, I consider myself pretty good at birds also. But, I make mistakes too.

Dare I say that you'll make your own mistakes in id before too long if you stick with it on these forums? You're new here so you can't be expected to know the backgrounds of the regulars here. No problem. I hope you do stick around because I think you have a lot to offer the rest of us. I think that you'll also receive as much as you give.

'nuff said, ok?
Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:58 PM   #16

Quote:
However, there's no need to dump on Eric as he just made an honest mistake was all.
Eric is fantastic, incredible, talented, wise, and well-equipped to offer suggestions and opinions. If you don't agree with him in this particular matter, fine. But don't for a moment think that he isn't extremely well equipped in the matter of birds and photography. That would be a mistake on your part.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:12 PM   #17

Friend, I don't speak out without consideration. I am sorry, this was a gross miscall.

I have no reputation around here, that will take time. I accept apologies graciously, but no way I will say I erred, unless I did.

There are about 200 images in My Gallery, maybe a hundreth of what is in My files. Every couple of days, I dump several GB, just because there is no chance I will ever get around to doing anything with it.

Only credit I take is being lucky enough to be stuck in the middle of Paradise, and having 3 fine cameras.

Let Eric speak for Himself, I will share anything I know with Him, if He will do the same.. Can an agreement be built on this? I hope so!

Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:26 PM   #18

Why do you feel it necessary to continue to promote yourself with both words and urls? Let your images speak for themselves... and eric "always" speaks for himself, and a heck of a lot better than some I've heard lately. I probably shouldn't have posted this response, but, what the heck, it's done.

Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:39 PM   #19

It seems that while I was carefully condidering, and typing out My my thoughts, one finger at a time, several Folks jumped in. with better typing skills than Mine.

I did not come here to rock anyones boat., if You feel Seasick, what am I to do!

We can, in a heartbeat, bring the matter down to basics, some of You Yankee Boys just can not deal with a Redneck Boy , with brains,l I expect I may be beyond Your understanding. I know what You've been told!

Any time You want to get Your Butt out of Boston, and see what really is, I am standing here to show You, just leave Your books behind. I promise, I will not let the Gators eat You!

I will go away, if that is what everyone wants. I just need to hear from someone, besides the Friends of Eric.

I did not come in for a fight, but never run from one either. What am I expected to do?

Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:43 PM   #20

Ha ha, you just made my day. My only problem is that you may be serious about what you are saying. Thanks for the laugh!

Quote:
What am I expected to do?
Aw, poor little baby

Do exactly what you did do, post your url so that everyone can go and see all of your fantastic works of art that are better photos than anyone has ever even considered taking in all of the world.

You have done well.