Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:39 PM   #1

I think this is a Cormorant (but with all of these in-house experts around, who knows...not that there is anything wrong with inhouse experts...why am I thinking about Seinfeld?). We amateur birders need to be careful around here. I surprised this particular specimin when waiting for the herons in a little nitch of the lake that I'd found. The birds were definitely surprised when they saw me sitting there, and it didn't take them long to respond.

I horribly underexposed these shots so am a bit surprised that they turned out reasonably well after processing. I probably could have sharpened them a touch but I personally don't think that sharpening is necessary here since the focus is on action rather than pose, plus the fact that I'm not willing to upload a sharpened version on my pathetically slow telephone modem (that's probably the real reason). Feel free to sharpen them if you wish, or do anything else with them that you want, including trash can. This is also high ISO stuff if I can remember correctly, it was directly into the sun so backlight was radical...hmm, what other excuses can I come up with. I think I'm doing pretty well on the excuses, though.

I'll start with my favorite, the "beadwork" takeoff

Others

Another

Another

Another

Another

That's it for the Cormorants
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:48 PM   #2

you are right....wat kind of cormorant...i have no clue..

lol

but yeah....beautiful series....i love the backlighting..i think it works GREAT....i'm amazed that you got details on the darks though...

great job

i like them all for different reasons...but the wing chop in the second one detracts....but you got all the other ones...so it's all good

vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:52 PM   #3

I love the action shots! You nailed the bird this time, Norm. Yep, it's a cormorant - a double crested cormorant to be exact! :-)

I really like the way your 1DMkII stops action. Were all of these from pictures of a continuous burst?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:56 PM   #4

yes, one short burst in high speed. I still have trouble keeping the shutter button down because I think it's costing me money...but it's not! I need to work this out

Vito, I appreciate the "detail" comment. I wasn't expecting one like that, thanks
Old Aug 27, 2004, 1:13 AM   #5

God's blessing is fantastic! I'm happy to be a born again Christian and to share these photos because they were a blessing to me from God.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 1:30 AM   #6

no problem norm

God's gifts are awesome aren't they?

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 1:47 AM   #7

Christ is A One, I agree. I'm a madman for Jesus too, so if you have any questions, ask me. God's gifts are perfect, butsometimes it's difficult understanding that they are gifts.

Old Aug 27, 2004, 5:34 AM   #8

Nice shots, I like the way the light shows the water up so well.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote