Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 27, 2004, 6:08 PM   #1

There is another Critter, right size, same regions, that can sometimes trick You. Every so often, in a batch of Great Blue Heron Chicks,there will be a white bird, leg color is what to go by. It will show, even at a distance. I have not yet seen one, just keep looking. There is an X bird, as well, Wurdemanns Heron, looks like a Great Blue, with a white head, Wow, would I love to see one of those. There could well be subtle expressions of genes running at less than full power, but the leg color seems always to tell what the start was. Herons, and Egrets, are often aggressive and horny. They are close enough to hybridize. This only seems to include the big Herons/Egrets. Tri coloreds, Snowys, Little Blues, and Greens, seem to stick to their own. It is confusing enough, be thankful they don't make it worse!

Yellow Crowned, and Black Crowned, the Herons of night and twilight? I am glad they sort it out when they grow up, when they are immature it is hard to tell.

I am just so pleased I get to watch them!

tsiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2004, 12:07 PM   #2

Sorry tsiya, I don't see any pics.:sad:
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 12:21 PM   #3

GoCubs wrote:
Quote:
Sorry tsiya, I don't see any pics.:sad:
No pics with this, still trying to find a model, I just thought it was something interesting to share. I've been running around here for 60 years, and keep running into new things. Makes Me want to get up every morning so I won't miss anything.
tsiya is offline   Reply With Quote