Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 31, 2004, 11:29 AM   #11

Did you pass on the 180mm macro because of the cost? That is the one I'd like (for similar types of shots) but the cost is just so high... I can't justify it. Maybe some day.

I know someone who uses that softbox for portrate work. They work very well.

You've got some very nice stuff here. Well done. Macro work is not easy by a long shot.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:05 PM   #12

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Did you pass on the 180mm macro because of the cost? That is the one I'd like (for similar types of shots) but the cost is just so high... I can't justify it. Maybe some day.

I know someone who uses that softbox for portrate work. They work very well.

You've got some very nice stuff here. Well done. Macro work is not easy by a long shot.

Eric

Hi Eric, not entirely of the cost. It's more about the weight. I mean you have to walk around this from one plant to the next, looking for insects. And at 1:1 its unbelievable the ammount of shake we have 9 inch away of an insect almost filling the frame.

So I stick with this one instead, saw some great galleries from another guy in Canada, I knew this lens was very capable. Still on the learning curve

Thanks Eric, appreciate it

Cheers
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 2:33 PM   #13

Eric, your macro shots of these insects and spiders have so much detail in them that you're scaring everyone that looks at them! Nice job!

For both Erics - tomsch, another member of this site, uses the 180mm macro lens and it seems to do a great job. You can see some of his work here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=7
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 11:58 AM   #14

I've used the Canon 180 macro (Sigma makes one as well) and it's a stunning piece of glass.

This butterfly was taken with it. This is, if I recall correctly, almost full frame:

http://www.marx7.org/~esmith/web_pos...fly_place2.jpg

The detail is just amazing.

From what I understand the 105mm is basically just as good (i.e. they both are stunning.) I didn't find the 180mm that heavy when I used it, but I've never used the 105 to compare.

Eric
Old Sep 1, 2004, 1:47 PM   #15

Awesome shot Eric, really.

The problem I have with weight is , I walk in the woods or open land, camera / lens / flash around the neck, after a while I feel the pain carrying it like this constantly. My Drebel is lightweight, I wonder how it will be with a 20D. So I try to keep the rest as light as possible.

Main advantage of the 180mm macro is the ability to take 1:1 macro shots at a greater distance, that's a big advantage. My 105 is 1:1 at 9 inch if I remember correctly.

Cheers
Old Sep 1, 2004, 2:30 PM   #16

Ya, it's a question of how close you can get to your subjects without disturbing them. The 180 macro lets you stay further away.

I can fully appreciate the weight issue as I hike with the 600mm (and people think I'm foolish! Oh wait, I am!) I just looked and the weight is a bit over twice as much (450g vs 1090g.) So that isn't unnoticable.

Eroc
Old Sep 1, 2004, 2:59 PM   #17

well...you could pull the "tripod-over-the-shoulder" trick....lol

i guess weight would be a major upside to my G2 it's like 1lb. at the most...lol....you do feel it around your neck after a while though..

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 4:28 PM   #18

Eric, what type of flash are you using on your 300d?
shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 6:51 AM   #19

Shake, I'm currently using a Canon 420 EX , with a Lumiquest Softbox diffuser, I have my eyes on a Canon Twin-lite though, but that's in a long shot, probably only next spring. Will buy a 20D before that, that's the one I have focus on for now

Cheers