Both taken Thursday, was beautiful outside :

30 feet @ 500mm :

And a close close shot , 10 feet @ 450mm :

I'll leave the Blue Jay alone now, they've done great for me

Cheers
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2004, 11:28 PM   #2

Well, Eric, these bluejays sure have put on a show for you. I really like the shots in natural light! DOF is terrific in both and the detail is sharp in both but really tack sharp in the second.

Thanks for posting these!

(ps: Bluejays are such beautiful looking birds - too bad they can also be such stinkers...)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 11:32 PM   #3

wooooow! i LOVE that second one!

AMAZING details! post that one for the photo of the week next week! (and sign up for a couple free names, and vote for my photo this week )

that first one is grreat too...

man....

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 11:46 PM   #4

Hehe Vito and Geoff, yes Blue Jay can do bad things to other species (egg stolen, eaten). But at the same time, they are the best alert system when a Hawk is near by. They will start to shout like maniacs, all other small birds will go and hide. I've witness few months ago 3 Blue Jay litterally harassing a Hawk up in the air. One of them was diving on him, while the other 2 would do diversion flight. After 5 minute, the Hawk had nothing else but leave. Now I see 6 Blue Jay, Geoff, I believe we have at least 3 offspring. I can note easily who's the leader of the pack. But if there's plenty of food (read shelled peanuts), they won't fight over.

I'm currently training them to get close to me. I place shelled peanut on wood railing, I'm sitting on the grass and I don't move. Today 2 of them came to about 6 feet from me. They were very anxious, I could see that. But I guess with time, they'll get use to this. One of my customer - I'm a tech in HVAC, so I travel from houses to houses. So I see all kinds of backyard setups - told me that his Blue Jays, every morning comes and knock on the patio door window with their beak, asking for more peanuts, LOL !

I'm also training some squirrel to get close to me, the female (check the other post, the one who's on the grass resting) is getting there. She's a jumpy girl. When she get a bit nervous she runs and jump on anything on her path, so she bounce on anything vertical, like a tree, post, anything. Then she stops, rest on the grass, look at me. Then she eventually gets close to me, the temptation of those shelled peanuts is too great, LOL ! She came to about 3 feet today, I'm getting there

Cheers
Old Sep 4, 2004, 8:22 AM   #5

lovely shots, much better without the flash. I'd love to have these in my backyard but all I get is honeyeaters and pigeons.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 9:28 AM   #6

very cool eric! i can't wait to see some shots you take when they REALLY get used to you!

btw...about the flash...it's used to fill in shadows...but unless they are deep shadows, i like them....the shadows add depth...the flash makes the bird look fake, and flat...

just my opinion though

Vito

ps....these shots are winners....for sure...

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 3:16 AM   #7

bravo for these shot, you can post the #2 shot in close up forum :-), ouf, great details

chris doudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 10:20 PM   #8

Merci Chris, appreciate the comments
Old Sep 8, 2004, 11:40 AM   #9

Very nice shots.

Love the detail and color in the second one!
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 3:12 PM   #10

After reading about your training exercies I suddenly found myself singing the song "poisoning pigeons in the park" by Tom Lehrer. If you've never heard it, you can atleast read them here:

http://members.aol.com/quentncree/lehrer/pigeons.htm

When it gets down to the squirrel comment, you'll see the connection.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote