Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 6, 2004, 10:25 PM   #1

I was walking slowly to find something to shoot in Macro, saw some Garden spider as usual. They are easy to locate, always in the middle of the web waiting. Then I was litterally sitting next to this one, until he came out to get a small prey just caught in its web. Geeze, I never saw the thing :-P

Another shot of the same species, he was hanging out upside down for the next meal :

Then, walking slowly again, saw a large web, nothing around... where's the spider ? Eaten by a bird ? I looked and looked, eek !

That one is a Ugly Motha F...

Geeze, she's ugly and big, creeps ! Worst, look at the eyes !

Here's a shot I took before this closer encounter, to show 'Ordre de Grandeur' compared to a plant/flower you've seen before along roads or in the fields :

This spider was in trance or something. I was wondering why it's not moving, took my finger nail to give it a little tap, barely a response... What the ? Then I found a mini ones coming out. Think she was giving birth. One of the mini ones already was out on the web laying some more. Incredible I think. I thought they layed eggs, but guess the eggs hatch inside then they come out ?

So the conclusion of the story... when you walk in fields, better watch out, coz they are all over ready to crawl on your pants, LOL ! And about psychology of humans, while I was taking shots of these, I was scratching my self all the time.. wonder why :-P

Cheers everyone

Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2004, 10:55 PM   #2

Wonderful series, Eric! The clarity of the spider in these shots is amazing and I liked the story you told along with the pictures

I can see that I'm going to have to get me one of those Sigma macro lenses too once I get my 20D! I'll see what my finances are but I might go for the 180mm versus the 105mm just so that I can get the longer working distance.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 11:11 PM   #3

Thanks Geoff, the idea of the 180 is about that, working distance. Here we don't have much anything deadly, so not too affraid of one jumping on me. Although I think they are much affraid of us, than we are.

That last spider was ugly and big. We don't have biggie ones like this that much. Apart some ugly hairy ones I've seen when I was a kid. They were about half the size of tarentulas with yellow/black legs. I haven't seen anything like that for quite some times. I should have stayed longer, think she was in labour. Coz when I set my stuff out, 2 of the mini-ones were already on the web near by.

This probably explain why she was barely moving. I'm starting to understand where to find these spiders. Worst part is, when you don't pay atttention (doing bird shots), how many times I've walk right through a web with ugly ones like that ? Creep !

Cheers
Old Sep 6, 2004, 11:12 PM   #4

wow....you actually poked that nasty looking spider?

lol

amazing shots once again eric!

you got yourself some portfolio going here!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 11:15 PM   #5

Yes and it felt ok Vito, but I used my nail.. just in case :crazy:

Thanks buddy, still getting bigger it seems (the gallery)

Cheers