Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:53 PM   #1

Put the sneak on these two owls last night I was able to get pretty close by sneaking up behind a tree and then crawling with my face down.

They seemed to be paying more attention to each other than me.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:41 AM   #2

:shock:Wow, those are beautiful creatures, and great shots. I used to run a paper route early mornings a few years ago and there was this huge white owl I'd see every morning, it was nearly two feet tall, and just beautiful. This was in the days before I had a digicam, though, so I have no photos of it. Owls are such cool animals.
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 1:31 AM   #3

Top shots zoomn. they are magnificent birds.
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 2:59 AM   #4

Great Horned Owls, zoomn! You've done your usual great stalking job and come away with some really neat shots. The third and fourth shots look the nicest. I'd be proud of them if I were you...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 7:15 AM   #5

wonderful shots, I love those big eyes
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 8:25 AM   #6

Thanks for taking a look and for you positive comments. Really appreciate it.

I was very jazzed to get these closeup shots. I have been sneaking up on this clump of trees for a couple months trying to get shots of a barn owl that has been hanging in there and only gotten a few shots of eyeballs through the tree to show for it.

I could hear these owl noises coming from the trees so I went into stealth mode and imagine my surprise when I crawled around the tree and looked up and here were these two horned owls. I was so excited I had a hard time holding the camera steady, even with the tripod.

The third shot in the series is of the second owl the other three are of the other owl.

I couldn't tell for sure but I am guessing it was a mated pair. Geoffs is there any way to tell if one of these is a female from the pictures?

Old Sep 17, 2004, 8:53 AM   #7

zoomn wrote:
Quote:
I couldn't tell for sure but I am guessing it was a mated pair. Geoffs is there any way to tell if one of these is a female from the pictures?
Zoomn, among owls there is little or no external differentiation among the sexes. I believe owls tend to be fairly solitary in nature so the fact that these two remained in close proximity to each other might really indicate that they are a mated pair.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 9:13 AM   #8

Thanks Geoffs that is what I figured.

At one point one of the owls flew over to the other one and grabbed onto the branch it was on and hung upside down from it right below for about 5 seconds.

I couldn't get a shot of it through the tree and because I was too close, but it was cool. They were squacking away and I was only about 15' away.