Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 25, 2004, 11:19 PM   #11

Quote:
"that's it, my spending days are over for awhile."
A very very short while.

One thing I've learned about SLR purchases is that they never stop. It's the nature of the beast; and it's a beast with ten thousand legs that you can screw on and off at will...racing legs...climbing legs...jumping legs...crawling legs..., and some of those legs cost a pretty penny (ask eric).

Here's an analogywhere I see some similarities to my own SLR addiction: heroin addicts will always find money to buy another fix, no matter how broke they claim to be or how much they promise themselves and others that this will be the last purchase for a long time or something like my spending days are over.

Welcome to the SLR PIT geoff :blah:
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 11:29 PM   #12

These are all beautiful photos norm, all w/ great backgrounds. I like the second one facing away, don't always need to see the face. Absolutely love the BG in 4, I think that may be the definition of bokeh, just beautiful! 5th one is great with the bonus of the bug and another great BG. Great work, keep 'em coming.

P.S. Congrats to Geoff. Can't wait to see all that knowledge come through the lens!
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 11:32 PM   #13

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
I'm finding that out

At the camera shop when I was purchasing the camera, the salesperson said out loud to me, "That will be one thousand, nine hundred and ninety-nine dollars and ninety-nine cents due." The woman in line behind me said out loud, "What the heck are you buying?" Hehe - all I could think of saying was, "Shh, you aren't supposed to be listening for other people's purchases..." :roll:

Let's see... in preparation for my trip I've bought 1GB CF card, a digital wallet to hold images when the CF card fills up, a spare battery. I still have to get a case, a UV filter. I'm sure I'll think of yet more.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 11:33 PM   #14

GoCubs wrote:
Quote:
P.S. Congrats to Geoff. Can't wait to see all that knowledge come through the lens!
Oh no! Another item to buy! I still have to buy a longer FL lens before I can try and compete with Eric and Norm on the bird pictures!!!!
Old Sep 25, 2004, 11:38 PM   #15

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
GoCubs wrote:
Quote:
Oh no! Another item to buy! I still have to buy a longer FL lens before I can try and compete with Eric and Norm on the bird pictures!!!!
LOL Add patience to the list!
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:38 AM   #16

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
Normcar wrote:
Quote:
I'm finding that out

At the camera shop when I was purchasing the camera, the salesperson said out loud to me, "That will be one thousand, nine hundred and ninety-nine dollars and ninety-nine cents due." The woman in line behind me said out loud, "What the heck are you buying?" Hehe - all I could think of saying was, "Shh, you aren't supposed to be listening for other people's purchases..." :roll:

Let's see... in preparation for my trip I've bought 1GB CF card, a digital wallet to hold images when the CF card fills up, a spare battery. I still have to get a case, a UV filter. I'm sure I'll think of yet more.
:GNot to rude or anything geoff, but are you wealthy??? or are you like the rest of us getting our addictions out of our systems via credit?:-)Im gonna be paying the rebel and the extra lens I al;ready have off for the next 12 months or so and Im already looking at other lenses:roll:I have to stop this:-)

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:56 AM   #17

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Not to rude or anything geoff, but are you wealthy???
No. Julie, I am most definitely not wealthy - not even close. However, I have saved my pennies. That, plus finally having all my children graduated from college, means that I have the liberty of having a few extra bucks to spend to soothe my addiction.

Just so you don't feel bad... the extra bucks are starting to run out (and quickly too). I don't believe in purchasing on credit (a home mortgage is an exception), unless that credit is nothing more than the normal 30 day float that most credit card companies allow you. I pay all my credit cards off each month.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 1:53 AM   #18

we use credit although it's not extreme. My camera was purchased on a fixed loan of 18 monthly payments, I really wanted to upgrade and it was the best way for me. I dont regret it in any way. As for lenses, I will save the cash to get them. I still have one child aged 16 at home, hesin year 11 at school so it will be sometime before he is less of an expense to us:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 9:09 AM   #19

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
hesin year 11 at school so it will be sometime before he is less of an expense to us
You will be soooo happy when the college expense is over and done with :-)

Norm: I just got back some answers as to what this bird really is. I didn't feel totally comfortable with the Cape May Warbler and I guess I was justified in that feeling. The "experts" (ie: those not as rusty as myself) feel that this is a good example of a juvenile or first winter Yellow-Rumped Warbler. I believe I agree with them although the white eye ring just seems a bit too prominent to me for that, but everything else seems correct for it to be that.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:04 PM   #20

Geoffs & Norm:
Did you adjust the contrast in the first shot much? Something that I find is that white eye rings (and other very white things on birds) seem to enlarge (or become whiter) when I adjust contrast.... The "whiter" makes sense 'cause that is what adjusting contrast does, but larger seemed odd to me. So, Geoffs, if he did adjust contrast (I do it in every image) then that might have thrown you off a bit.

And we won't mention the cost of my lens, right? It might give aladyforty a heart attack.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote