Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 25, 2004, 1:58 AM   #1

Focus on fallbackground colors

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2004, 5:14 AM   #2

ohh nice the fall color adds a nice touch to the background!

i wish you could see his face in the second one, the body is so sharp..

the last one is the winner here!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 7:26 AM   #3

Hi Normcar,

Very nice picturers. Whether u hv taken this from one location ?

Which Camera r u using ?

Tks/Wildlifeiyer

wildlifeiyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:14 AM   #4

lovely shots as always, that color is great, where do you find so many different birds to photograph? I wish I could get shots like that:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 10:12 AM   #5

I love the contrast of the birds against that fall foliage - just absolutely pleasing to the eye. Among the chickadee photos, the last one really stands out as the best - the little guy's outstretched neck and catchlight in his eye is great. I'm not really sure what you got in the first photo - it could be a flycatcher, hmm...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 12:22 PM   #6

Thanks guys

Vito - I knew someone would make that comment, and I was almost positive it would be myfavorite critic.:lol:I just liked the overall composition, so I posted.

Wildifeyer - Canon Mark II with Sigma 50-500, hand-held (I don't like struggling with a tripod if at all possible). Most of these were taken at 1000 + ISO, so that I could keep shutter up,and processed a touchwith Paint Shop Pro and Neat Image. I don't like using a flash if at all possible and the ISO performance on this camera affords me to opportunity to leave it behind from time to time, even with a slower lens like this Sigma.

alady - actually, these are all chickadees except the first, so perhaps it's not really so many birds. These chickadees are so friendly it affords one an excellent opportunity to focus on background rather than just the bird, which is nice, especially at this time of year when color is special in this part of the world.

geoff - I was hoping you'd reveal what that first feathered wonder was. Oh well, it's a bird and that's good enough for me
Old Sep 25, 2004, 2:28 PM   #7

Hey Norm, I'm thinking that that first bird is not a flycatcher at all. It's starting to appear to me to be a first winter Cape May Warbler with the only thing that's throwing me off at the moment is the seemingly too prominent white eye ring.

(Do I have permission to repost this shot on another site for some id assistance? - I'll overlay a copyright with your name if you'd like...)
Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:28 PM   #8

These are at 1000 ISO? Not bad. I can still see the effect of noise (in the background) but the bird detail is still very good. In the 10D, the noise seems to destroy detail at over 400ISO. So even if I use neatimage I still don't like the result. This is very nice.

I don't mind not having the face in the second shot. It's looking at the background just like you were and we are.

The color has only just started to come out where I am. Last year it was almost all yellow with very little read. Its my goal this year to find some good examples of flaming red trees. All yellow starts to get to you.

Very nice shots. Makes me wish I got that 1D MkII. But I'm holding out for a bit... gotta replace my car.

Eric

ps. Kinda scarry when a camera can effect a car purchase. Damn expensive camera.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:46 PM   #9

Post away anywhere you wish geoff. I'd like to know what that cutie is, thanks for your help.

eric, I'm quite happy that it's possible to get acceptable results (if only barely acceptable) at this high ISO. At least I have a hope in places like dark gymnasiums and deep bush. The Sigma is, of course,a bit slow and holds this cam back somewhat for the quick shotsso I'm looking forward to getting the 200mm 2.8 prime so I can get more focus speed. I lost a few really good ops today because the 50-500 just isn't as fast as I'd like (however, it's a fabulous lens nonetheless as far as I'm concerned). I'll put the Sigma teleconverterthat has been gathering dust on the 200 prime and see if I can get some more speed. Reviews on that lens claim that both 1.4 and 2x can gleanmore than acceptableresults (1.4making no difference to speak of) and that lens is, by many accounts, super sharp from 2.8 down. T

I'm looking forward to trying that lens out with the Mark II. It won't take the place of the 50-500 but it will keep me shooting when the light gets bad.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:53 PM   #10

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Very nice shots. Makes me wish I got that 1D MkII. But I'm holding out for a bit... gotta replace my car.
Well, after your car is replaced Eric, why don't you hold out instead for the 1DsMkII. At $8k you'd only have to take out a 2nd mortgage on your house to afford it!

(Funny aside: I picked up my 20D this morning and when my wife and I were driving home I said to her, "that's it, my spending days are over for awhile." She looked over at me and knowingly said, "I'll bet you're going to have to buy some additional lenses." Well, you know, I just had to agree with her! :roll