Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 28, 2004, 10:41 AM   #11

Bobby, I'm not sure about Norm's 1DMkII, but the 20D uses a 3x more precise focusing capability with lenses that are f/2.8 or faster...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:56 PM   #12

bobby, I'd consider that if I was using it only for birding. However, I plan to use the 200 for other situations (indoors). If I'm going to capture movement I want to be relatively close anyway, so the 200 with 1.4 x will be fine if the 2 x is slightly soft. I have those converters already and I want to put them to use (they would be essentially useless on a 5.6). I also plan to play with my 1.5 Panasonic 2.8 add-on, which actually worked nicely on the Sigma 50-500. If it works nice on the 200 then I'll have, with 1.4 + Panasonic 1.5 + 200 2.8, close to 600mm at F4. That's probably a pipe dream but I'll certainly let you know one way or the other via my photos :-)
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 10:03 AM   #13

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
Bobby, I'm not sure about Norm's 1DMkII, but the 20D uses a 3x more precise focusing capability with lenses that are f/2.8 or faster...
From what I know, the MKII has more of those high precision sensors but if you put any telecoverter on f2.8 lens, it is not f2.8 lens anymore so the focussing algorithm which helps for fast lenses wouldn't help.

I do like the focussing accuracy of 20D (from initial responses) and might upgrade in future.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 9:01 PM   #14

The MkII's AF is high precision at f4 (not f2.8 as the 10D & 20D are) and I believe it has 7 cross type sensors.

While the 20D's is better than the 10D, the MkII's is even better still.

If you add the TC, you won't get high precision because it's aperture will be smaller. Sad but true.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 8:49 AM   #15

eric s wrote:
Quote:
If you add the TC, you won't get high precision because it's aperture will be smaller. Sad but true.
Yep, too bad. I was hoping I could get a smaller lens + TC combo and get away cheaper and lighter and still achieve the focusing precision. Darn.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 11:52 AM   #16

Nice shots Normcar,

I like the composition and the combination of colors in these photos.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote