Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 11, 2004, 7:49 PM   #1

I got to spend the weekend out on Cape Cod in Mass this past weekend, so I enjoyed some late season shore bird photography. He found this shell (with something in it, I assume) which he preceeded to try to swallow. Never succeeded, as he was mobed by other birds. I think this is a sanderling, but I'm really not sure. I can't find my book which is better with shorebirds.

This shot is actually much reduced from the original. This shot was taken at around 25 feet... it was nice to shoot something that wasn't that afraid of me for a chance. They ended up getting too close for the camera, so I just watched them.

Camera: 10D 600mm+1.4TC, 1/1000 f6.7 ISO 200 AI Focus
PhotoShop: RAW Convert + exposure, Contrast & brightness, crop, sharpen, reduce
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2004, 9:50 PM   #2

Greatexposure control and setting of DOF, eric. Lots of white to deal with in this one and you've found asuccessful balance. Pretty bird. I like the OOF pebble in the foreground and the slight wash of wave foam. Very mood evoking with the near monochrome coloration and only the tiny pebbles offering a tinge of pastel color.

PS - I think I'd personally rather have seen the entire beak than have the tip obscured by that pebble but that's entirely subjective and nobody but the bird can control that sort of thing.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:25 PM   #3

wow eric! FABULOUS job with exposure! looks like a "fun" exposure situation

nice and sharp....

gorgeous...

it's crazy how small the DOF looks on the sand!

btw....no CA? that's always good!

great job eric!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 1:15 AM   #4

Yowza, now that's close. Beautifully done.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:05 AM   #5

Beautiful shot. Would look real good in bigger size on hi-res monitor.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:14 AM   #6

Nice one Eric, i wonder if it's you on that pic?:lol:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=62
kadok6330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:35 PM   #7

Normcar, the peble in front of the bill is actually a shell that it is trying to eat. I assume there is a snail or hermit crab inside. It never got it down... I think I have a shot (slightly OOF) where its head is up and its in mid-swallow.

Thanks for all the kind words. If I have the time, I'll post a larger version of this shot. I'm showing my pictures this weekend and I think I'll use this one. That means I'll need a 1000 pixel wide version. At full size, the bird is bigger than my screen.

kadok6330
Ya know, while that person in the sand isn't me, it's similar. I have that same lens, same camo, the 4-segment version of that tripod, and a similar head (I have a Wimberley, which he isn't using but it's the same concept.) He's using a 2x TC, and I was only using a 1.4TC and by the size of the camera I'd guess he's using a EOS 1 series (either film or digital.)

As for the person, I have less weight and less facial hair (none), less head hair in front (darn!) but more in back.

When I took my shot I was laying on my side (and I forgot my photography towel in the car, darn it!) with my elbo in the sand and my head on my hand so I could see through the view finder. I was as low as I could reasonably go, which almost always yields the best shot angle... and the most body pain.

Eric
Old Oct 18, 2004, 10:44 PM   #8

eric...could you post that picture of it midswallow?

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:32 AM   #9

I'll see what I can do. I've been editing up some shots from this past weekend for some other people, but I'll put this on my list.

I need extra hours in the day so I can do all the things that I want to do!

Eric
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:09 PM   #10

Here is a quick edit of another shot of the same sanderling. It's not the one I was thinking of, but it was already edited so I'm putting it up. It looks like it's a little dark, but I'll try to do something about that later. I need to get to bed.

Eric