Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:23 PM   #1

We are a familly of hunters. My grandfather was, i am so is my sister and she's the first one after all those years of big game hunting to shot down a moose. We had a couple of deer but no moose, here it is. Sorry as it may offence some of you but from a hunter point of view we are very happy.

Attached Images

kadok6330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:25 PM   #2

Well, from a personal perspective I dearly hope that this isn't the beginning of a trend here in the wildlife forum. I was once a game hunter myself many years agobut never really liked it much even then, so I quit, and have never looked back. The only memories that I do have are the nightmarish memories of that lynx with his eyeballs sticking out of his head after being hit with a 30 30 shell, and the partridge that I blew apart with a 12 gauge shotgun so that his head was a dangling mass of fleshy string. Memories that I'd rather never have gotten in the first place. Wildlife photographyhas given me a very strong appreciation for wildlifethat has no place for thedeadly hunt, only the photo hunt.

Not that there's anything wrong with it...but I personally hope that this genre doesn't find a place here in the wildlife forum where living animals seem to be the vast majority of posts.

Suggestion: maybe someone might consider moderating a big game hunting forum where posts like this can be appreciated by those who appreciate things like that.

Anyway, thanks for the warning before the photo downloaded. I should have taken the warning seriously. My fault entirely.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 5:06 AM   #3

Dear Normcar,

I agree with you. No comments.
wildlifeiyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 7:32 AM   #4

I agree Norm. I hate to kill anything by accident even(which happens with my job driving in farming and bush areas, I even avoid poisonous snakes on the road) I know there is a place for culling feral animals as we have to here like rabbits and foxes and we also have to do Kangaroo and emu culls as the huge amount of them causes major problems and it is cruel to them as they end up starving to death in droughts. However Im not a fan of game hunting and I think a forum set aside for that kind of photo would be a good Idea.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 12:35 PM   #5

I also agree with Normcar. Well said. I would rather have the Wildlife forum only for photos of wild animals that are alive and free.

Dalcio
Dacol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 3:36 PM   #6

Here is another take...

Though I am not a hunter, I do respect and admire those that hunt well.

What is hunting well?

1. Culling the weak ones.

2. Remaining alcohol free for the entire hunt.

3. Harvesting the animal for its meat.

4. Sharing the bounty with others ala the Inuit subsistence hunters.

5. Having respect for the animal you have taken.

Yes, it is a little disconcerting to see a once vibrant animal dead.

However, how many of us have casually put a steak or a chicken on the grill yet never ventured to where the animal was harvested...i.e., a slaughterhouse.

I treasure that here in the USA and Canada we have the freedom of speech that we do have as evidenced on this forum.

Silently, I say a prayer each day for those who willingly place themselves in harm's way to preserve those freedoms.

As my late grandmother was found of saying...when someone expressed an opinion...

"Another country heard from."

Hello out there to all Canadians on this forum. I love your country, its boundless beauty and its "can-do" Canadian mind set.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 3:48 PM   #7

Ok guys and gals, i'm sorry, i will never post such photo again. You know i was so happy for my sister. I also want to let you know that i love animals(i studied to become a veterinarianbutnever made it)i will never harm an animal or kill one just for fun.
kadok6330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 4:13 PM   #8

There are lots of big game forums on the internet where hunting pictures are shared.

try www.huntingnet.com.

No harm done, congrats to your sister.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 10:30 PM   #9

I fully appreciate and respect the big game hunter who follows digicam's very good list above.

Kadok, I sincerely congratulate your sister on her accomplishment.I too used to hunt game and understand the rush whenthe goal is reached. It's exactly like photography in that particular way.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote