Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 26, 2004, 11:04 PM   #1

This merganser was tough. Snuck around for two hours up and down the river. Finally got this 1 in focus shot. As hard as I worked for it I am proud of it, I definitely earned it.

This is my week for wood ducks. Walked up to these guys behind a tree then popped out for a quick burst before they took off. They take off in just another second.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2004, 11:10 PM   #2

Great shots Zoom. I think I could look at Wood Duck shots like this all day long. Thanks!
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 11:17 PM   #3

Woah, that last shot is special. Color is out of this world. Your captured double pose is excellent, especially with the curved green blades of grass in the background accentuating the lines of the ducks; that bluish trickle on the foreground rock gives the appearance that the spectacular color of the ducks is melting down on to the rocks. Color extravaganza. Great job.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 12:44 AM   #4

The Wood Duck shot should be on a Calendar or at the very least framed. Just simply wonderful. I also could look at these all day. I am in awe.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 6:40 AM   #5

the ducks in that last shot are exquisite!!!! I wish we had them here
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 9:02 AM   #6

Appreciate all your positive comments. I am with you, wood ducks are an awesome looking bird. Everytime I see them I am amazed by their colors.

My next quest is to get a better picture of the hooded merganser, they are an awesome looking duck with amazing color as well.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 10:43 PM   #7

OOOHHH...I'm so jealous! I've been stalking wood ducks for the past two years in the summer in northern Wisconsin, and I just couldn't ever get in close enough to get the shot I wanted. I agree with all the comments...I could look at that picture of the two of them all day. WAY TO GO!!!!!!:-)
WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 9:47 AM   #8

Zoomn, you should be proud of your effort in getting the shot of the Hooded Merganser - they can be tough to get close to!

I absolutely love your Wood Duck shots. They are such an unbelievably colored and marked bird and you did them great justice with these shots!!!!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 1:44 PM   #9

Thanks Wisconsin and Geoffs.

I know how you feel Wisconsin I had the same frustration until last week when I found a little cove they have been hanging out in that I could sneak into and got some decent shots finally.

Geoffs glad to hear from you and that you liked the shots. I am heading back down to the river (if it will quit raining )tonight and hope the merganser will swim by my spot again. This time I am going to sit and wait for him instead of trying to sneak up as that proved futile several times even on some pretty good sneaks(if I do say so myself).

I

Old Oct 30, 2004, 11:05 PM   #10

Geoffs, there are some tricks to getting close to hoodies (and other diving ducks.) A friend likes to call it the dive and sprint. When the go under, you run closer and then freeze (guessing when they come up.) They seem more alarmed by the movement than the closeness (at least the one's I get near.)

zoomn:
Did you use any fill flash in that second shot?

Getting that close to wood ducks is a treat. Maybe it's seasonal, that is more color than the females get where I am. Is that really what she looked like? That makes me want to get a shot even more.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote